Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

raghavnetenrich
Frequent Visitor

Cannot see Copilot In Power BI Pro Service page

I really dont know how to enable Copilot Option is Services currently we are Power BI Pro liecense provided with 0365.

Can anyone tell me the reason or help me with this.

Regards,

Raghav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
raghavnetenrich
Frequent Visitor

Copilot currently is only supported for Premium Capacities or F64. Unfortunately no workaround to enable this on PPU.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
paulking2224

i have premium user and copilot licence but also the workspace is set to premium per user, does copilot need a premium capacity as well as copilot doesn't seem to be working?

DaveLaff73
Frequent Visitor

TL;DR - You don't have Copilot in the service if you have Power BI Premium Per User. Only with Power BI Premium Capacity.

Don't know if you had this resolved. But for anyone that comes across this still needing the answer, I have the same issue with this.

After a lot of research, I finally figured out the answer. It's not clear due to the fact that "Power BI Premium" and "Power BI Premium Per User" are two different types of licenses. It has to do with "capacity" and whether it's dedicated or shared. I wish they would make it not so confusing.

Copilot is not available in the service environment unless you have a "Power BI Premium" license. Having a "Power BI Premium Per User" license isn't the same. 

Here's how it works:

1. Power BI Premium Capacity: Copilot functionalities in Power BI are generally available in workspaces that are assigned to Premium capacities (EM or P SKUs). This is because Copilot, like many AI-driven features, requires substantial computational resources and is integrated more deeply into the organizational level features offered by Power BI Premium.

2. Premium Per User (PPU): If you are on a PPU license, you will not have access to Copilot if your workspace is not backed by a Premium capacity. PPU licenses offer many Premium features on a per-user basis, but they don't provide the same level of capacity or the full set of functionalities that a full Premium capacity offers.

I had a good conversation with ChatGPT about it. If you would like to see the discussion, click here: https://chat.openai.com/share/1192e70e-d991-4995-951d-6d2ebce151de.

The short answer is that it's not available for little businesses . . . yet. Today they rolled out general availability for Copilot for Microsoft 365 Business Standard, and I thought it would carry over into the Power BI service too. But it doesn't. It gives me hope that they will let the little people use Copilot in the Power BI service soon.

raghavnetenrich
Frequent Visitor

Copilot currently is only supported for Premium Capacities or F64. Unfortunately no workaround to enable this on PPU.

I have a P1 Premium Capacity and I'm an admin but I can't find how to enable Copilot in the tenant settings.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

AlexisOlson_0-1701298532503.png

Did you get an answer for this?  I am in the same boat.  I have premium capacity and do not see the option to enable.

The issue ended up being that they had just not rolled it out to everyone in the east US.  As mentioned, I have capacity and met all the criteria.  It was rolled out in the East US, just not to everyone, including education.  It is available now.

raghavnetenrich
Frequent Visitor

Can anyone help with this. i dont see any write up on web to know.

Hi @raghavnetenrich ,
Copilot is available to users with Power BI Premium capacity And Fabric licenses.

The workspace has to be running on F64 or Premium capacity, for you to access Copilot for the Power BI service.Your tenant admin has to enable the Copilot setting at the tenant level.

https://copilot.microsoft.com/
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/get-started/copilot-fabric-enable

How to Enable Microsoft Copilot: The Complete Guide

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI Mohit,

I did not see any option related to Copilot or OpenAI in Tentent setting , i tried fabric trail version and in Pro as well. so if we get PPU license - will i get to see Copilot and Open AI settings in Tentent Setting.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Raghav

Hi ,

Copilot and OpenAI settings are not available in the Tenant Settings for Power BI Pro or Power BI Fabric trial versions. Copilot and OpenAI are premium features that are only available to organizations with Power BI Premium per user (PPU) licenses or Power BI Premium capacity licenses.
Before upgrading License, confirm with Microsoft support copilot is available in your Region or not (by raise a support ticket. )
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2230733

https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/en-IN/support/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/geographical-availability-copilot

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mohitkumawat
Super User
Super User

The Copilot option is unavailable for Power BI Pro licenses provided with Office 365. This is because Copilot is a premium feature only available for Power BI Premium licenses.

If you would like to use Copilot, you will need to upgrade your Power BI license to a Power BI Premium license. You can do this by purchasing a Power BI Premium subscription or by contacting your Microsoft account representative.

Thanks for the response - do we get Copilot for Premium per user (PPU) license?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors