Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gilmorez

Cannot Create New Connection. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to....

I am unable to create a new connection to an Oracle data source via an on premises gateway. I have downloaded Power BI Desktop onto the server the gateway is intalled on and can connect through there no problem (using TNSNAMES.ORA). I only can't connect to it from Power BI Service.  The error I receive when attempting to connect is as follows:

Unable to connect to the data source. Either the data source is inaccessible, a connection timeout occurred, or the data source credentials are invalid. Please verify the data source configuration and contact a data source administrator to troubleshoot this issue

Gateway on endpoint 'x' is unreachable.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation. 

Any ideas? Need more details?
6 REPLIES 6
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @gilmorez 

Thanks for the reply from @lbendlin , please allow me to provide another insight:

First of all, you can configure your gateway connection according to the official documentation provided by Oracle, and make sure that your steps are the same as those provided by Oracle, so that you can avoid many problems. For more information, please click on the link below:

microsoft-powerbi_service-gateway-adw.pdf (oracle.com)

In addition, you also need to install the corresponding OCMT tool according to the official documentation below, please refer to the link below for details:

Manage your data source - Oracle - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vjianpengmsft_0-1711345808312.png

vjianpengmsft_1-1711345827643.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes, needs more details.  How are you connecting to the Oracle data source from your desktop?  Native driver, ODBC? TNSNAMES.ORA?

And have you replicated that setup on all gateway cluster members?

We are using TNSNAMES.ORA. All setups are the same.

have you confirmed they all work though?

Yes

Do the network test on all gateway cluster members. Do you need a proxy in your network?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors