Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Maeaex1
Frequent Visitor

Best Way to let user upload/update data in data model / underlying source

Hi community,

what's the best way that users can upload/update data (e.g. an Excel File in Sharepoint) that is reflected instantaneous/real-time in a published PowerBI online report? I read about scheduled refresh, but this wouldn't be sufficient in terms of "real-time" actualisation. 

We have a PowerBI Report Server, but also suggestions for PowerBI Cloud Services (Pro/Enterprise) are welcomed. 

Thanks for your help & suggestions!

Best,

Max

2 REPLIES 2
Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi Maeaex1

If you need real-time data updates, the key is to use a data source which supports DirectQuery.
This rules out Sharepoint as an option, and rather suggests using a SQL database or similar.

My personal go-to is to build a simple Power App as the user-facing application to accept inputs.
The Power App can easily be secured, and can be embedded directly in your Power BI reports as well for some pretty nice interaction. 

I published a step by step guide about this here: Guide: Add Write-Back to Power BI reports with Power Apps - Part 2: Display write-back data LIVE in ...

Hi Jonvoge,

Thank you for your help & reply!

Do you know if Power Apps can be programmed in a way that Copying the values of let's say 40-50 rows with 2 columns of an Excel Spreadsheet into the Power App would be possible? Or does the user then need to copy/paste every indiviudal value? The number of rows would be variable.

I wish you a great day ahead!

Max

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors