Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

daxreport
Frequent Visitor

Best Practice for using Excel mapping file in a composite model

Hello,

I have a semantic model which I need to enrich with an offline mapping table in Excel. I am aware I can turn this into a composite model by bringing in data from Excel. However, looking to understand best practices for the following:

1. Where exactly to save the Excel? In the C drive or somewhere in the SharePoint? 

2. Will the Refresh options work with a model that has both an Excel and a Direct query connection/dataflow?

Eventually, I would like to save this composite model as my own semantic model in Myworkspace. From this base model, I will create different reports with a live connection to this saved out in the drive. This way I can maintain one copy of the main model with all the measures. Second objective is to keep all the measures private when I finally publish my reports in a Shared Workspace. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Put the Excel file in SharePoint Online. That will let you schedule refresh without using a gateway. You can have direct query and import mode sources in the same dataset. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

You will need a data gateway connection if you are pulling data from SQL server.Please check this for more details.https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Direct-Query-Connection-with-SharePoint-Online/td-...

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Put the Excel file in SharePoint Online. That will let you schedule refresh without using a gateway. You can have direct query and import mode sources in the same dataset. 

Thank you, Will I need to schedule any other refresh once I create a live connection from a shared worksplace to this model saved in my personal Workspace? 

In your experience, does it impact performance when there is a live connection to a model which in turn is using a DirectQuery for the fact table? 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors