Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea where is the Data Tab as well as Opening up the Power Query?

Javierphang_0-1642056124564.png

Hello everyone, can i know what is going on? I am taking over a project from someone else and the data tab is missing and i cant even look into what is the power query code on transform data. My guess is that this report is linked to a database instead of pulling the data in from excel. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Go to File - Options and settings, and follow the figure below to change your settings, then restart Power BI Desktop

vxiaotang_0-1643096147887.png

vxiaotang_1-1643096154022.png

Kindly note:

(1) From this picture, we can know that the datasource of your report is Power BI Dataset

vxiaotang_0-1643191034680.png

and when we use Power BI Desktop to connect Power BI Dataset, the connection mode is Live.

vxiaotang_1-1643191199513.png

(2) Since this connection is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled. You can only connect to one dataset in each report. This behavior is similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services. However, the following article describes how a new feature in Power BI now makes this possible: see using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

For more information, please read this article, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Javierphang_1-1642062186635.png

Thank you for the reply. However, i still cant click on the transform tab as shown in the above picture. Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Hi @Anonymous 

change this setting:

vxiaotang_1-1642399331101.pngvxiaotang_2-1642399407196.png

For more information about Direct Query, you can read this article,

vxiaotang_0-1642399252737.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thank you for the response. However, i do not have that setting as shown below.

Javierphang_0-1642468470966.png

Hi @Anonymous 

Go to File - Options and settings, and follow the figure below to change your settings, then restart Power BI Desktop

vxiaotang_0-1643096147887.png

vxiaotang_1-1643096154022.png

Kindly note:

(1) From this picture, we can know that the datasource of your report is Power BI Dataset

vxiaotang_0-1643191034680.png

and when we use Power BI Desktop to connect Power BI Dataset, the connection mode is Live.

vxiaotang_1-1643191199513.png

(2) Since this connection is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled. You can only connect to one dataset in each report. This behavior is similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services. However, the following article describes how a new feature in Power BI now makes this possible: see using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

For more information, please read this article, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

You cannot see data tab if you import data by using direct query mode.

And click on transform data option in ribbon you will navigate to power query editor.

Hope this will help you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors