Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jinyuann
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint On-Prem Connection Issue in Power BI Report Server

Hi, I have checked your website https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources saying that sharepoint file (on premises) is supported for scheduled refresh. Hence in my Powerbi desktop, i have configured my data source using Source = SharePoint.Files("https://companysharepoint/web/",[ApiVersion = 15]). While connecting to the data source, I used windows authentication with alternate credentials to refresh my data successfully.

However, when i uploaded my file to the Power BI Report server to configure my scheduled refresh so i wont have to refresh manually everyday, I used the same alternate credentials and it gives the error saying that Log on failed. Ensure the user name and password are correct. May i ask why is this happening even though from your website it says that it is supported? How do i resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'm not sure with SharePoint files connection, but I'm refreshing data from on-prem SharePoint using standard "Web" connection (with sharepoint URL to specific file), and it is working well (using Windows authentification and full username (with domain name))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'm not sure with SharePoint files connection, but I'm refreshing data from on-prem SharePoint using standard "Web" connection (with sharepoint URL to specific file), and it is working well (using Windows authentification and full username (with domain name))

Hi @josef78 ,

I tried using web connection. Same thing, It works on my powerbi desktop using windows authentication. But when i try to use windows authentication on my powerbi report server, it says "Log on failed. Ensure the user name and password are correct".

Could it be because I am using the corporate own internal network hence there are some authentication issue when connecting to the report server and sharepoint on prem?

My power BI version: 2.112.1421.0 64 bit (Jan 2023).

I do not know... maybe check if you are using full login name (from PBI Desktop it may work only with loginname, but server need full format domain\loginname or loginname@domain.
Also you can try install power bi desktop on same server where is installed power bi report server, and try connecton here.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jinyuann ,

Please refer to.

vrongtiepmsft_0-1708570142641.png

Power BI report scheduled refresh in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If it still does not help, could you provide a bit more information to further diagnose the problem:

- What version of the Power BI Report Server are you using?
- Are there any specific error codes or messages, besides the general logon failure, that you can share?
- Have you been able to successfully use scheduled refresh with other data sources in the Power BI Report Server?

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Rongtie, I do not think that my report contains any dynamic data source. Its basically just an excel file is stored in my documents sharepoint.

- What version of the Power BI Report Server are you using?

Will let you know again which version that i am using though i do not think that the version of the powerbi report server will affect the compatibility of connecteing to the sharepoint unless i am wrong.
- Are there any specific error codes or messages, besides the general logon failure, that you can share?

No, In my report server, i just go under manage data source > windows authentication > enter my credentials and it just says that "Log on failed. Ensure username and password are correct". The credentials i used is the same as what i used when i using powerbi desktop.
- Have you been able to successfully use scheduled refresh with other data sources in the Power BI Report Server?

Yes, I have used Excel.Workbook(...) to retrieve the file from my shared network drive. and also retrieve data from SQL in my report server. Its just the sharepoint one that i am unable to connect

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.