Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jbarta_mlchc
Helper II
Helper II

Date Slicer Issues after September 2022 Upgrade of Power BI Report Server

End users are reporting that the date slicer functionality has changed. Previously, the end user could click into the first date field, it would highlight the whole date and they could type a date in. After upgrading to the Sept 2022 version of Power BI Report Server, the date slicer does not work that way. On reports created with previous versions, end users have to right-click in the date field, which puts the cursor at the end of the date. Then if they try to backspace out the date value, when they delete the last number it completely adds the whole date back in. I hope this is making sense. I did notice today that when I create a brand new report, the slicer does not require you to right-click, but it still has the same behavior when you attempt to backspace the date out. I have also noticed that the date slicer behaves differently when you hover over it with a new report version versus one created with a previous version. 

On reports created on a previous version, when the cursor hovers over the date field it puts a bolded rectangle with curved corners over the field. 

jbarta_mlchc_0-1669928253068.png

On reports created with the September 2022 version of desktop, it does not add the bolded rectangle.

jbarta_mlchc_1-1669928414501.png

Is anyone else seeing experiencing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alipat
Employee
Employee

Hi @jbarta_mlchc

Thank you for reporting the problem, we were able to reprouce it.
We tracked this bug down, and working on a fix. 

Thanks,

Alexandra  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-alipat
Employee
Employee

Hi @jbarta_mlchc

Thank you for reporting the problem, we were able to reprouce it.
We tracked this bug down, and working on a fix. 

Thanks,

Alexandra  

I should have asked before, will a fix be in the next version or will there be a hotfix to the September 2022 release?

Thanks for your help and working to resolve this issue!

Hi @jbarta_mlchc , 

Unfortunately, fix for this issue is not coming with the QFE Release for September, but we will aim to include the fix in PBIRS January release 

Thank you, 

Alexandra 

I did some more testing this morning. It appears that the date slicer was fixed if added to new reports. On new reports, the date slicer now has the calendar icon back and you can click into the date field, delete the date, and type a new date. This is the date slicer in a new report and you can see the calendar icons are back.

jbarta_mlchc_0-1678725088710.png

But the upgrade did not update the date slicers that already exist on reports. You can see this one does not have the calendar icons:

jbarta_mlchc_1-1678725202227.png

Even if I add a new date slicer to this old report, it still does not have the new version of the date slicer.

What do I have to do to update the report or the visual to get the newest version of the date slicer?

The January 2023 release didn't fix the date slicer issues. Well at least not all of them. Prior to September 2022 release you could just click into the date field, it would highlight the date and you could type a new date. Now when you click into the date field, it opens a calendar. To enter a date manually you have to right click the date which puts your cursor at the end of the date, delete the date and enter a new date. In the September 2022 there was an issue when you tried to delete the date by using the backspace, the date would reappear when you deleted the last number. This seems to be fixed. I hope I am explaining this well enough.

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jbarta_mlchc ,

I  test it in my Power BI Desktop for RS, between May and September, the slicer has difference, but i only find below difference, for other difference, i am a little confused about the operations.

On May 2021 version, when the cursor hovers over the date field it puts a bolded rectangle with curved corners over the field. 

vbinbinyumsft_0-1669966141592.png

On September 2022 version, it doesn't have.

vbinbinyumsft_1-1669966219867.png

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu

The main issue is the functionality of the date slicer seems to have changed. You used to be able to click the date and it would highlight the whole date and you could just type a new date. That is no longer working even with the January 2023 release.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.