Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

glowvibezzz
Frequent Visitor

Assistance Needed with Power BI Dashboard Development

Good afternoon,

I'm in the process of developing a dashboard using Power BI, and overall, it's progressing well. However, I've run into a few challenges and I'm hoping you might be able to assist me in resolving them. Specifically, I'm attempting to import the secure score data stored in Microsoft Defender and mailbox usage data (such as mailbox size and the number of emails placed in "Quarantine") into Power BI. Does anyone here have experience with this task and would be available to help me address these issues and potentially provide further assistance?

Please let me know and thanks for your help in advance!

Greetings,

Glo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@glowvibezzz 

It sounds like you're working on an interesting project! Integrating data from Microsoft Defender for endpoint secure scores and mailbox usage data into Power BI can provide valuable insights into your organization's security posture and email infrastructure.

Here's a general outline of how you can approach importing this data into Power BI:

1. Microsoft Defender Secure Score Data:

• Microsoft Defender for Endpoint provides a secure score that indicates the overall security posture of your organization's devices. You can access this data using Microsoft Graph API or Microsoft Defender Security Center API.
    • Start by obtaining the necessary permissions and credentials to access the API. You may need to work with your organization's Microsoft 365 administrator to obtain the required permissions.
    • Once you have the necessary permissions, use Power BI's "Get Data" feature to connect to the API and retrieve the secure score data. You may need to authenticate using OAuth or other authentication methods.
    • Import the data into Power BI and perform any necessary data transformations or calculations to prepare it for analysis. You can then create visualizations and dashboards to monitor your organization's secure score over time and identify areas for improvement.
  2. Mailbox Usage Data:

• Mailbox usage data such as mailbox size, number of emails in quarantine, and other mailbox statistics can be obtained from the Microsoft Graph API.
    • Similar to accessing secure score data, start by obtaining the necessary permissions and credentials to access the Microsoft Graph API.
    • Use Power BI's "Get Data" feature to connect to the Microsoft Graph API and retrieve the mailbox usage data. Authenticate using OAuth or other authentication methods.
    • Import the data into Power BI and perform any necessary data transformations or calculations.
    • Create visualizations and dashboards to analyze mailbox usage trends, monitor quarantine activity, and optimize mailbox storage.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@glowvibezzz 

It sounds like you're working on an interesting project! Integrating data from Microsoft Defender for endpoint secure scores and mailbox usage data into Power BI can provide valuable insights into your organization's security posture and email infrastructure.

Here's a general outline of how you can approach importing this data into Power BI:

1. Microsoft Defender Secure Score Data:

• Microsoft Defender for Endpoint provides a secure score that indicates the overall security posture of your organization's devices. You can access this data using Microsoft Graph API or Microsoft Defender Security Center API.
    • Start by obtaining the necessary permissions and credentials to access the API. You may need to work with your organization's Microsoft 365 administrator to obtain the required permissions.
    • Once you have the necessary permissions, use Power BI's "Get Data" feature to connect to the API and retrieve the secure score data. You may need to authenticate using OAuth or other authentication methods.
    • Import the data into Power BI and perform any necessary data transformations or calculations to prepare it for analysis. You can then create visualizations and dashboards to monitor your organization's secure score over time and identify areas for improvement.
  2. Mailbox Usage Data:

• Mailbox usage data such as mailbox size, number of emails in quarantine, and other mailbox statistics can be obtained from the Microsoft Graph API.
    • Similar to accessing secure score data, start by obtaining the necessary permissions and credentials to access the Microsoft Graph API.
    • Use Power BI's "Get Data" feature to connect to the Microsoft Graph API and retrieve the mailbox usage data. Authenticate using OAuth or other authentication methods.
    • Import the data into Power BI and perform any necessary data transformations or calculations.
    • Create visualizations and dashboards to analyze mailbox usage trends, monitor quarantine activity, and optimize mailbox storage.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Hi! Thanks for your quick respond 🙂

I will give it a try and mark your post as a solution once it works! 

@glowvibezzz  thanks, looking forward to your update. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.