Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sarada
Frequent Visitor

Add many users (3000) to power bi report security on power bi reporting server

I need to add 3000 users to security of Power BI report on Power BI report server. 

I can only add up to 1800 users (using a Powershell script) and when I try to add more I get this error. 
An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details.

when I check the log, error is:

Received a request with an unmatched or no authentication scheme. 401

My question is if there is any limitation on number of users that we can add to security or not? if yes how we can change it?

please note that I cannot use AD groups. 

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@sarada wrote:

Why not? AD groups are far and away the best answer for managing users at this sort of scale.

View solution in original post

sarada
Frequent Visitor

it is because of business rules that we have. we source these users list from an application security group. application security group only have users as member of groups and they cannot change it to AD group at the moment. 

After more investigation, I found out there is limitation in adding number of users to report security which cannot exceed 1820. 
https://businesswintelligence.com/content/110/max-users-assigned-to-ssrs-pbirs-report
So in this case I need to implement a solution for some of our reports to use AD groups instead of application security group members. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Can you get your application to synch to an AD group, then use that group in Report Server? Or use your powershell script to update an AD Group instead of altering the Report Server permissions?

sarada
Frequent Visitor

it is because of business rules that we have. we source these users list from an application security group. application security group only have users as member of groups and they cannot change it to AD group at the moment. 

After more investigation, I found out there is limitation in adding number of users to report security which cannot exceed 1820. 
https://businesswintelligence.com/content/110/max-users-assigned-to-ssrs-pbirs-report
So in this case I need to implement a solution for some of our reports to use AD groups instead of application security group members. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@sarada wrote:

Why not? AD groups are far and away the best answer for managing users at this sort of scale.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors