Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

prorokrak
Helper I
Helper I

using a dynamic column name in Table.AddColumn columnGenerator

Hi, all,

I would like to build on a very useful query Chriss Webb published on his blog (Using List.Generate() To Make Multiple Replacements Of Words In Text In Power Query). I would like to turn it into a function so that I could easily reuse it in different projects.

This will be a signature of the function:

(TableToChange as table, ColumnToMakeReplacements as text, ReplacementsTable as table, optional SearchForColumnName as text, optional ReplaceWithColumnName as text) as table =>

However, I cannot figure out how I can provide a variable to a columnGenerator in the last step called Output. See this function-like query:

let
    // Create a table with text to be replaced
    Source = Json.Document("[{""Text"":""the cat sat on the mat""},{""Text"":""the cat sat next to the dog""},{""Text"":""the dog chased the cat""},{""Text"":""the dog sat on the mat""},{""Text"":""the catamaran sails through the air""}]"),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Text"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Source Text" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Text", {"Text"}, {"Text"}),

// Create a table of replacement pairs
    Source2 = Json.Document("[{""Word To Replace"":""cat"",""Replace With"":""bear""},{""Word To Replace"":""mat"",""Replace With"":""chair""},{""Word To Replace"":""dog"",""Replace With"":""dragon""},{""Word To Replace"":""the"",""Replace With"":""THE""},{""Word To Replace"":""air"",""Replace With"":""water""}]"),
    #"Converted to Table2" = Table.FromList(Source2, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"ReplacementsTable"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded ReplacementsTable" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table2", "ReplacementsTable", {"Word To Replace", "Replace With"}, {"Word To Replace", "Replace With"}),

// Initialize variables
    TableToChange = #"Expanded Source Text", 
    ColumnToMakeReplacements = "Text",
    ReplacementsTable = #"Expanded ReplacementsTable",
    SearchForColumnName = "Word To Replace",
    ReplaceWithColumnName = null,

//Get table of word replacements
    Replacements = ReplacementsTable,
    //Get list of words to replace
    WordsToReplace = 
        if SearchForColumnName = null then 
            List.Buffer(Replacements[Search For])
        else 
            List.Buffer(Table.Column(Replacements, SearchForColumnName)),
    //Get list of words to replace them with
    WordsToReplaceWith = 
        if ReplaceWithColumnName = null then 
            List.Buffer(Replacements[Replace With])
        else 
            List.Buffer(Table.Column(Replacements, ReplaceWithColumnName)),
    //A non-recursive function to do the replacements
    ReplacementFunction = (InputText)=> 
     let
       //Use List.Generate() to do the replacements
       DoReplacement = List.Generate(
                          ()=> [Counter=0, MyText=InputText], 
                          each [Counter]<=List.Count(WordsToReplaceWith), 
                          each [Counter=[Counter]+1, 
                                MyText=Text.Replace(
                                         [MyText], 
                                         WordsToReplace{[Counter]}, 
                                         WordsToReplaceWith{[Counter]})], 
                          each [MyText]),
       //Return the last item in the list that
       //List.Generate() returns
       GetLastValue = List.Last(DoReplacement)
     in
      GetLastValue,
    //Add a calculated column to call the function on every row in the table
    //containing the text to change
    Output = Table.AddColumn(TableToChange, ColumnToMakeReplacements & " Replaced Text", each ReplacementFunction(Table.Column(TableToChange, ColumnToMakeReplacements)))
in
    Output

The last step works if the column name is hard-coded:

Output = Table.AddColumn(TableToChange, ColumnToMakeReplacements & " Replaced Text", each ReplacementFunction([Text]))

I know that with this syntax, the columnGenerator always passes just one row (or one value) on each iteration of DoReplacement function. It seems that when I provide the column using Table.Column function, it passes the whole column instead of a row.

I do not know how should I adjust it to make of the column I provide to the columnGenerator dynamic. I am sure that it is a no-brainer for experienced Power Query users, but I got stuck on this. Appreciate your help.

Edit: I realized that even though the Chris Webb's blog was one of the sources used in this solution, I have actually modified a solution from @ImkeF that can be found here: Multiple replacements or translations in Power BI and Power Query. Sorry for attributing incomplete credits.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Replace your output line with this

Output = Table.AddColumn(TableToChange, ColumnToMakeReplacements & " Replaced Text", each ReplacementFunction(Record.Field(_,ColumnToMakeReplacements)))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Replace your output line with this

Output = Table.AddColumn(TableToChange, ColumnToMakeReplacements & " Replaced Text", each ReplacementFunction(Record.Field(_,ColumnToMakeReplacements)))

Hi @Vijay_A_Verma, that was it. I hoped that some slight adjustment should do the trick and here we are! It works like a charm. Thanks a lot for your help.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prorokrak ,

I think it seems a bit difficult, because the ReplacementFunction provided in the blog also refer to the columns in the data source. So it's a bit difficult to say dynamic.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Okay, so it is not so straightforward as I originally thought. Sad to hear that.

Anyway, thank you for taking time to answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors