Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hood2media
Resolver I
Resolver I

power query | dynamic selection of source files - 2

hi,

recently, with help from @dufoq3 , i managed to get the power query formula to combine files for selected / contigous periods (refpower query | dynamic selection of source files).

based on the earlier scenario (i.e. for the contigous period selection), may i kindly seek help to get the power query formula that allows me to select 2 files representing 2 non-contigous periods (e.g. 2015 & 2023)? the reason for this is so i don't have to bring in all files from all the contigous periods if they spread over a large range. by taking in the 2 files for the 2 periods, it'll save time in the data analysis process.

many thanks in advance.
warmest rgds, -nik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi again,

so I created it for you a bit more complex.

1.) Create parameter and call it exactly Years or create blank query and delete whole code, then paste there this one (but don't forget to rename it!)

"2015 - 2018, 2020-2022, 2024" meta [IsParameterQuery=true, Type="Any", IsParameterQueryRequired=true]

2.) Create another blank query and paste there this code. Just edit address to your folder (as last time) in 2nd step Source

let
    paramterYears =  
        [v_yearSplitSingle = Text.SplitAny(Years, ",.;"),
         v_singleYearList = List.RemoveNulls(List.Transform(v_yearSplitSingle, each try Number.From(Text.Trim(_)) otherwise null)),
         v_multiYearRows = List.Select(v_yearSplitSingle, each Text.Contains(_, "-")),
         v_multiYearList = List.Transform(v_multiYearRows, each Text.Split(_, "-")),
         v_multiYearFinalList = List.Combine(List.Transform(v_multiYearList, each {Number.From(_{0})..Number.From(_{1})})),
         v_allYearsCombine = List.Sort(List.Combine({v_singleYearList, v_multiYearFinalList}))
        ][v_allYearsCombine],
    Source = Folder.Files("Y:\Downloads\PowerQuery\TableCombine"),
    Ad_FileYear = Table.AddColumn(Source, "File Year", each Number.From("20" & Text.Start([Name], 2)), Int64.Type),
    FilteredYearsByParameters = Table.SelectRows(Ad_FileYear, each List.Contains(paramterYears, Number.From([File Year]))),
    Ad_BinaryToTable = Table.AddColumn(FilteredYearsByParameters, "DataTable", each Excel.Workbook([Content], true, true){0}[Data], type table),
    CombinedTables = Table.Combine(Ad_BinaryToTable[DataTable])
in
    CombinedTables

Now you are able to define years by parameter Years this way:

• you can separate single years by using these 3 separators (i.e 2018, 2020, 2022😞
    1. ,
    2. .
    3. ;
  • you can also use ranges i.e. 2015-2020
  • you can also combine both i.e. 2015-2018, 2020-2022, 2024 to filter years:
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2024

I hope this will meet your expectations 😉

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi again,

so I created it for you a bit more complex.

1.) Create parameter and call it exactly Years or create blank query and delete whole code, then paste there this one (but don't forget to rename it!)

"2015 - 2018, 2020-2022, 2024" meta [IsParameterQuery=true, Type="Any", IsParameterQueryRequired=true]

2.) Create another blank query and paste there this code. Just edit address to your folder (as last time) in 2nd step Source

let
    paramterYears =  
        [v_yearSplitSingle = Text.SplitAny(Years, ",.;"),
         v_singleYearList = List.RemoveNulls(List.Transform(v_yearSplitSingle, each try Number.From(Text.Trim(_)) otherwise null)),
         v_multiYearRows = List.Select(v_yearSplitSingle, each Text.Contains(_, "-")),
         v_multiYearList = List.Transform(v_multiYearRows, each Text.Split(_, "-")),
         v_multiYearFinalList = List.Combine(List.Transform(v_multiYearList, each {Number.From(_{0})..Number.From(_{1})})),
         v_allYearsCombine = List.Sort(List.Combine({v_singleYearList, v_multiYearFinalList}))
        ][v_allYearsCombine],
    Source = Folder.Files("Y:\Downloads\PowerQuery\TableCombine"),
    Ad_FileYear = Table.AddColumn(Source, "File Year", each Number.From("20" & Text.Start([Name], 2)), Int64.Type),
    FilteredYearsByParameters = Table.SelectRows(Ad_FileYear, each List.Contains(paramterYears, Number.From([File Year]))),
    Ad_BinaryToTable = Table.AddColumn(FilteredYearsByParameters, "DataTable", each Excel.Workbook([Content], true, true){0}[Data], type table),
    CombinedTables = Table.Combine(Ad_BinaryToTable[DataTable])
in
    CombinedTables

Now you are able to define years by parameter Years this way:

• you can separate single years by using these 3 separators (i.e 2018, 2020, 2022😞
    1. ,
    2. .
    3. ;
  • you can also use ranges i.e. 2015-2020
  • you can also combine both i.e. 2015-2018, 2020-2022, 2024 to filter years:
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2024

I hope this will meet your expectations 😉

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

hi & many tks again, @dufoq3.

checked & mod for my working environment. i'm happy to inform you it's running fine as expected.
krgds, -nik

p.s.

for your kind info, i have slightly tinkered your earlier solution where for the selection of 2 different/distinct years, i amended the following line with 'or' (instead of 'and') & used "=" operator (instead of >=, <=) -

FilteredYearsByParameters = 
Table.SelectRows(Filter.folder, each (Number.From([File Year]) = Number.From(#"Year-1") or Number.From([File Year]) = Number.From(#"Year-2")))

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors