Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

VeroTrujillo

not able to publish a local excel file to a group workspace

Hi,

I want to publish a local excel file to one of the PowerBI workspaces (group workspaces) I have access to but in the publish page (File -> Publish) only “My workspace” is listed as available workspace.

As per Microsoft documentation (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-from-excel/) all the workspaces I have access to should be listed.  I’m using Excel 2016 ( v16.0.8067.2115) with an Office 365 subscription.

Any recommendation on what to do to get all my group workspaces listed?  I’ve checked and I’m using the correct account to initiate the session (to connect to powerBI).

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
KF-Hornsby
Frequent Visitor

Good morning

I've getting the exact same situation as user tylojuky.  Is there any information I can look at about this issue..

"This file is located on your OneDrive for Business or on a SharePoint Online team site and can only be published to your own Power BI workspace."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did this issue get abandoned?

It's now November, 2019 and still no resolution?

My issue is almost the same. When I try to publish and Excel table to Power BI, I don't get a choice for the workspace. Instead, I get a message saying "This file is located on your OneDrive for Business or on a SharePoint Online team site and can only be published to your own Power BI workspace."

In my case, the Excel file is, in fact, on a SharePoint Online team site. Is this a restriction to publishing to Power BI?

Any suggestions how I can have an Excel file accessible by multiple people on the team AND publish it to Power BI?

mhum
Frequent Visitor

Hi all, did you found a solution to this problem? I'm currently dealing with the same issue.. Thanks and best regards Max
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VeroTrujillo,

Was the Power BI group workspace is created by yourself? Based on my test, with File -> Publish, the group created by the account which you signed in is not available. Regarding this issue, I will send a email to consult this issue. Will keep you updated once get information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi all,

I got information from PG that they open a tracking bug on this issue. The current workarounds are either to use a non-read only group, or publish from the PBI.com service.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there a link to the bug? Any progress? 

I'm having exactly the above described issue; 

• I would like to do what is written in the MS documentation here:
    • 'OneDrive for Business. Signing in to OneDrive for Business with the same account as Power BI is the most effective way to keep your work in Excel in sync with your Power BI dataset, reports, and dashboards. Both Power BI and OneDrive are in the cloud, and Power BI connects to your workbook file on OneDrive about once an hour. If Power BI finds any changes, it automatically updates your Power BI dataset, reports, and dashboards.'
  • However, when I have an Excel file on my computer which lives in a synchronized OneDrive folder (so it lives synchronized in the online Teamsite Sharepoint)
  • I try to publish this Excel but can't publish to my groups in Power BI Service, only to my own workspace. It says "This file is located on your OneDrive for Business or on a SharePoint Online team site and can only be published to your own Power BI workspace."
  • Now when I place this Excel outside the synchronized OneDrive folder, I am able to choose a one of my groups in PBI Service, but this is obviously not what I want since the whole idea is to keep "Excel in sync with the Power BI dataset". 

Any news on this thread? 

MSUser
Frequent Visitor

There is for team sites apparently another route. The advised route is to go via 'Import data' in Power BI to the sharepoint folder link and from there navigate to the relevant excel. This might help:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XE7HEZbQiY

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft for your response and support!

This is happening for both scenarios, group workspaces created by myself and also for workspaces created by others to which I have access to.

I’ll be waiting for any update you may get on this.

Thanks!

Hi @VeroTrujillo,

I have reported this issue. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 🙂

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

I am dealing with the same issue.  It seems like I can see random Workspaces but I can't see all Workspaces that I have access to.  Looking into the issue I don't see anything that gives me an idea of what is different between the ones I can see and the ones that I can't see.  I have created one that I have access to and have access to others that were created by other people but not all of those created by other people.  These seems very strange and almost random, but random from my perspective is probably not random from the perspective of one of the engineers working on the problem

Kind Regards,

JB

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors