Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jitterbug777
Advocate II
Advocate II

connect excel Power Query in One Drive to local excel files and Power BI Desktop, then to PBIS.

If I am collecting data manually (copy pasting) from SAP into an excel Power query workbook, located in my company OneDrive, in the cloud, and I am distributing that down to individual links of the excel workbook to different local machines in the business for different users, (each user opens the workbook in their browser to update with inputting data and filtering).

Now I want to connect that One Drive Power Query model to feed into Power BI Desktop on my local machine to create a report and dashboard..

Then upload that POWER BI FILE to PBIS (power BI service in the cloud) to distribute that, while maintaining the connection to the excel Power Query in Onedrive. (Where I still manually paste the data from SAP). I don`t have an API or PowerQuery connection at work to SAP (permissions not granted I need to speak to I.T and management about that).

i`m assuming power BI desktop can connect to my excel sheets Power Query in OneDrive correct? (To access data from the data model)...

Now When I transfer the powerBI file to PBIS, would the file automatically maintain the connection to the excel file in onedrive or would I need to reconnect that via PBIS?

*This will all be learnt through doing it and experimentation but any tips or feedback on this approach is appreciated. If I had SAP API connectivity and knew how to work with API`s that would be easier (on that note would I need API knowledge to connect Power Query to SAP as an autoconnection if I was granted permissions to do so?).

thank you!

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors