Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jackson123
Resolver I
Resolver I

What are the shortcuts to modify m in pbid(powerbi desktop)

hello , pbiers

I want to modify m querys in pbid. But it is very slow to wait query finish. I want to skip query wait stage. then I find a way to solve it. I modify M query in tabular eidtor, and save M query modification  in pbid. But when I opened PBID , I found M query is same as before . is there any good ways to modify m query that can skip query wait stage? 

looking forward to receving your solutions!

thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jackson123 ,

If you're good enough at writing M that you don't immediately need to see the results of the code you're writing, then I'd recommend writing your code offline in something like Notepad++ or Visual Studio where you can apply M code intellisense and formatting.

If you're not confident enough to do that, then I'd recommend adding a TopN filter at the start of your query, so you're only ever working on 10 or so rows, and therefore step evaluation should be significantly quicker.

If your step evaluations are still too slow only working on 10 rows, then you probably want to work on your code optimisation, rather than trying to skip step evaluation.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jackson123 ,

If you're good enough at writing M that you don't immediately need to see the results of the code you're writing, then I'd recommend writing your code offline in something like Notepad++ or Visual Studio where you can apply M code intellisense and formatting.

If you're not confident enough to do that, then I'd recommend adding a TopN filter at the start of your query, so you're only ever working on 10 or so rows, and therefore step evaluation should be significantly quicker.

If your step evaluations are still too slow only working on 10 rows, then you probably want to work on your code optimisation, rather than trying to skip step evaluation.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

well, I think apply parameter screening in M query is also a good idea. loading less data in PBID then publish to PBI Service. Change parameter filters on dataset,then refresh all data through data gateway.

would you like this one?

HI,BA_Pete,

thank you for your reply and suggestion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors