Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Boeboey
Frequent Visitor

This dataset includes a dynamic data source: how to replace "each <function-call>"?

Hi,

I got my query working on the desktop version, but not in the app:

This dataset includes a dynamic data source. Since dynamic data sources aren't refreshed in the Power BI service, this dataset won't be refreshed. Learn more: https://aka.ms/dynamic-data-sources.

I've read several related topics but couldn't figure out how to solve my issue.

This is the query I have:

let
    Source = #table({"AssetName", "DeviceID"}, {
		{"1207","110934"},
		{"1295","107027"},
		{"1554","107024"},
		{"1580","107025"},
		{"1580","119971"}
	}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "AssetDevice", each [AssetName]&" ("&[DeviceID]&")"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"AssetName", Int64.Type}, {"DeviceID", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "GetSensorEvents", each GetSensorEvents([DeviceID])),
    #"Expanded GetSensorEvents" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function", "GetSensorEvents", {"Midnight", " Direction", "deviceId", "eventDateTime", "FullDate", "Year", "Week of Year", "Weeknr", "Operational", "Index", "Time"}, {"Midnight", " Direction", "deviceId.1", "eventDateTime", "FullDate", "Year", "Week of Year", "Weeknr", "Operational", "Index", "Time"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded GetSensorEvents",{{"Index", type number}, {"FullDate", type date}, {"Operational", type number}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"deviceId.1"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Midnight", type datetime}, {"eventDateTime", type datetime}, {"Time", type time}, {"Week of Year", type number}, {"Year", type number}}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Week of Year", "Weeknr"})

in
    #"Removed Columns1"

So I'm calling function GetSensorEvents:

(DeviceID as number) =>
let
    <first some initialization>
    url = "https://api.mywebsite.com/api/device/"&Number.ToText(DeviceID)&"/data/events/export",
    GetJsonQuery = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(url, [Headers=[Authorization=AccessTokenHeader, Accept="application/json"]]),[Delimiter=";", Columns=3, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(GetJsonQuery,{"Column2"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", "Midnight"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Midnight", type datetime}, {" Direction", type text}}),
    #"Added eventDateTime" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "eventDateTime", each DateTime.AddZone(DateTime.From([Midnight]),0)),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added eventDateTime", "deviceId", each DeviceID),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Added Custom", "Midnight", "FullDate"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Duplicated Column",{{"FullDate", type date}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type1", Date}),
    #"Replaced Value0" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Appended Query",null,each [Midnight],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"eventDateTime"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value0",null,DeviceID,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"deviceId"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value1",{{" Direction", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Operational", each [#" Direction"]*[#" Direction"]),
    #"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Operational", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type3",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Operational"}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Replaced Value",{"Month", "Month Name", "Quarter", "Week of Month", "Day", "Day of Week", "Day of Year", "Day Name"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Columns1",{{"Midnight", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Time" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Time", each DateTime.Time([Midnight]), type time)
in
    #"Inserted Time"

Any idea how I can rewrite my function call:

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "GetSensorEvents", each GetSensorEvents([DeviceID]))

I tried the following:

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "GetSensorEvents", Table.Combine(GetSensorEvents(110934),GetSensorEvents(107027),GetSensorEvents(107024),GetSensorEvents(107025),GetSensorEvents(119971)))

But this didn't work.

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Boeboey 

To refresh the dynamic data source in Power BI Service, you can use the RelativePath and Query options with the Web.Contents M function. You could first refer to the following blogs to get some basic understanding. 

Using The RelativePath And Query Options With Web.Contents() In Power Query And Power BI M Code 

Setting a scheduled refresh on a Dynamic Data Source in Power BI 

According to your URL, you can try using RelativePath option. Your URL structure is similar to the example in above latter link.

From

url = "https://api.mywebsite.com/api/device/"&Number.ToText(DeviceID)&"/data/events/export", 

GetJsonQuery = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(url, [Headers=[Authorization=AccessTokenHeader, Accept="application/json"]]),[Delimiter=";", Columns=3, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),

to

baseURL = "https://api.mywebsite.com/api", 

GetJsonQuery = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(baseURL, [Headers=[Authorization=AccessTokenHeader, Accept="application/json"], RelativePath="device/"&Number.ToText(DeviceID)&"/data/events/export"]),[Delimiter=";", Columns=3, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]), 

You may need to adjust the baseURL because the trick of using the RelativePath and Query options with Web.Contents() only works if the first parameter (baseURL) passed to Web.Contents() is a url that itself can be called on its own without an error.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Boeboey
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your support Team _ Jing!

Your solution worked!

I managed to get rid of the "dynamic data source" error.

Unfortunately, I get another error now: [Unable to combine data] Section1/Assets/Changed Type5 references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

But I'm trying to fix this as well.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Boeboey 

To refresh the dynamic data source in Power BI Service, you can use the RelativePath and Query options with the Web.Contents M function. You could first refer to the following blogs to get some basic understanding. 

Using The RelativePath And Query Options With Web.Contents() In Power Query And Power BI M Code 

Setting a scheduled refresh on a Dynamic Data Source in Power BI 

According to your URL, you can try using RelativePath option. Your URL structure is similar to the example in above latter link.

From

to

baseURL = "https://api.mywebsite.com/api", 

GetJsonQuery = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(baseURL, [Headers=[Authorization=AccessTokenHeader, Accept="application/json"], RelativePath="device/"&Number.ToText(DeviceID)&"/data/events/export"]),[Delimiter=";", Columns=3, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]), 

You may need to adjust the baseURL because the trick of using the RelativePath and Query options with Web.Contents() only works if the first parameter (baseURL) passed to Web.Contents() is a url that itself can be called on its own without an error.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors