Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

iglesias6
Helper II
Helper II

Sharepoint list issue - Not getting the same columns nor data

Hey guys! How are you?

I have this sharepoint list named "AppUsers":

iglesias6_0-1713969344338.png

I want to get this data in my power bi. So I added the sharepoint list into my PBI, and have the following:

iglesias6_1-1713969423906.png

Why do they look so different? Why is that I get more columns in my power bi than my original sharepoint list?

Also, I want to get the emails from the sharepoint list but I am getting no data there. How can I correctly get it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@iglesias6 

The differences you're seeing between the SharePoint list and how it appears in Power BI could be due to several factors:

1. **Default View vs. All Columns:**
- SharePoint lists often have default views that display a subset of columns. When you connect a SharePoint list to Power BI, by default, Power BI loads all columns from the list, including those that may not be visible in the default view.
- In your Power BI screenshot, you're seeing all columns from the SharePoint list, whereas the SharePoint screenshot may only be showing a default view with a subset of columns.

2. **Additional Columns:**
- Power BI may also include system-generated columns or metadata columns from SharePoint that are not visible in the SharePoint list view.
- These columns can include internal IDs, version numbers, or other metadata associated with the list items.

3. **Email Column:**
- If you're not seeing data for the email column in Power BI, it's possible that the email column in the SharePoint list is not mapped correctly in Power BI.
- Check the data type and formatting of the email column in SharePoint to ensure it is compatible with Power BI's data model.
- Verify that the email column is included in the list of columns to be loaded into Power BI.

To address these issues:

1. **Select Columns to Load:**
- In Power BI, you can choose which columns to load from the SharePoint list. After connecting to the list, click on "Transform Data" to open the Power Query Editor.
- In the Power Query Editor, you can choose to remove columns that are not necessary for your analysis or reporting.

2. **Check Data Types:**
- Ensure that the data types of the email column in SharePoint and Power BI are compatible. For example, the email column in SharePoint should be formatted as text or email, and the corresponding column in Power BI should be of a similar data type.

3. **Refresh Data:**
- After making any changes in Power BI, refresh the data to see the updates reflected in your dataset.
- If you're still not seeing data for the email column, double-check the column mappings and data types to ensure they are correctly configured.

By carefully selecting columns to load, verifying data types, and refreshing the data, you should be able to ensure consistency between your SharePoint list and Power BI dataset, and correctly retrieve the email data from the SharePoint list.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@iglesias6 

The differences you're seeing between the SharePoint list and how it appears in Power BI could be due to several factors:

1. **Default View vs. All Columns:**
- SharePoint lists often have default views that display a subset of columns. When you connect a SharePoint list to Power BI, by default, Power BI loads all columns from the list, including those that may not be visible in the default view.
- In your Power BI screenshot, you're seeing all columns from the SharePoint list, whereas the SharePoint screenshot may only be showing a default view with a subset of columns.

2. **Additional Columns:**
- Power BI may also include system-generated columns or metadata columns from SharePoint that are not visible in the SharePoint list view.
- These columns can include internal IDs, version numbers, or other metadata associated with the list items.

3. **Email Column:**
- If you're not seeing data for the email column in Power BI, it's possible that the email column in the SharePoint list is not mapped correctly in Power BI.
- Check the data type and formatting of the email column in SharePoint to ensure it is compatible with Power BI's data model.
- Verify that the email column is included in the list of columns to be loaded into Power BI.

To address these issues:

1. **Select Columns to Load:**
- In Power BI, you can choose which columns to load from the SharePoint list. After connecting to the list, click on "Transform Data" to open the Power Query Editor.
- In the Power Query Editor, you can choose to remove columns that are not necessary for your analysis or reporting.

2. **Check Data Types:**
- Ensure that the data types of the email column in SharePoint and Power BI are compatible. For example, the email column in SharePoint should be formatted as text or email, and the corresponding column in Power BI should be of a similar data type.

3. **Refresh Data:**
- After making any changes in Power BI, refresh the data to see the updates reflected in your dataset.
- If you're still not seeing data for the email column, double-check the column mappings and data types to ensure they are correctly configured.

By carefully selecting columns to load, verifying data types, and refreshing the data, you should be able to ensure consistency between your SharePoint list and Power BI dataset, and correctly retrieve the email data from the SharePoint list.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors