Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

EWBWEBB
Helper II
Helper II

Remove duplicates based on condition

Hello,

I'm trying to establish how I can remove the duplicates from set of data but chose the one to remove based on a condition. 

I have a record of people currently off work.

These entries are repeated each month.

I've got power query to sort it all out and return a neat list with a unique identifier of the persons name and the first day they are off. 

I want to remove any duplicates so I have a single list, but when one of the duplicates has a return date entered I want to keep that and remove those where the date isn't entered.

If there is a duplicate and none have a return date entered then it doesn't matter which one is removed.

If there is a duplicate where they both have the same start and return date then it doesn't matter which is removed.

Attached is a file that has some sample data and then a 2 additional column I've populated in excel to show if it is a duplicate and then what I would want the decision to be.

Hope this makes sense.

The below should give you an anonymised sample data

https://we.tl/t-uAGS6a9jQH 

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @EWBWEBB ,

I may be oversimplifying this, but can't you just group on [Name] and [FIRST DAY], then add an aggregated column that is MAX of [RESUMED].

It gives you this:

BA_Pete_0-1693496637475.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I'll give this a go - I thought i tried it and it came up with a strange error but I'll need to loop back to it to try it out. 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors