Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Thimios
Helper II
Helper II

Remove duplicate rows by another row

Hi all,

My table looks like this:

2024-02-06 15_14_14-png.png

When same values in column path2.1, I need to keep rows that have the highest value in column path 2.2 while keeping the 'Transform File' columns intact. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Thimios,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjI0MjJT0lEyMFSK1UEVMYKJGBsYAjnIauAiSGqMDI3R1EBFMNWYKMXGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1.file_path.2.1 = _t, Column1.file_path.2.2 = _t]),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1.file_path.2.1"}, {{"Max path 2.2", each Table.MaxN(_, "Column1.file_path.2.2", 1) , type table}}),
    Combined = Table.Combine(GroupedRows[Max path 2.2])
in
    Combined

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Thimios
Helper II
Helper II

Hi all,

I appreciate your assistance.

I ended up creating a duplicate table, keeping only two first columns and grouping as suggested by @dufoq3. Then, I merged the queries using Join Kind = Inner.

@d_rohlfs suggestion works but I was not feeling confident that there will be no issues in the future.

Solution if @dufoq3 is closer to the issue although not easy for us novice users.

Thank you all for helping.

d_rohlfs
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @Thimios ,
You should just be able to do a sort descending on the file path 2.2, then use the remove duplicates function on the file path 2.1 column. Remove duplicates will not remove the first occurence of a value, but any subsequent occurrences. 

@d_rohlfs, to be sure you have to buffer table after sorting (because without buffering you never know which occurence will be deleted...)

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Thimios,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjI0MjJT0lEyMFSK1UEVMYKJGBsYAjnIauAiSGqMDI3R1EBFMNWYKMXGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1.file_path.2.1 = _t, Column1.file_path.2.2 = _t]),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1.file_path.2.1"}, {{"Max path 2.2", each Table.MaxN(_, "Column1.file_path.2.2", 1) , type table}}),
in
    Combined

Thank you @dufoq3 ,

I looked at your advanced editor guide, but this should be done somewhere in the middle of my transformation, not in the souce. How can I make it work?

@Thimios, you probably haven't read all my description from that screenshot. But to put my code into middle of yours you can just copy this part of my code:

Change selected Source to your Previous_Step reference, and your 1st next step after my query should refer my last step Combined.

dufoq3_1-1707242475613.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors