Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Helper II
Helper II

Remove (Asterisk "*" And Letter "A" from Date Row)

I am having a scenario where I have a table that contain a column as dates (Start), sometimes these dates end with either a letter (“A” or “*”) therefore I want to delete it from the Start dates

I have come up with a formula in Power Query as:

// This Code to Remove "*" and "A" from the Start date row
    #"Custom Start Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "Custom.Start", each let 
            x = Text.End([Start],1),
            y = Text.From(Text.RemoveRange([Start],Text.Length([Start])-1)),
            result =    if x = "A" then y
                   else if x = "*" then  y
                     else Text.From([Start])
        in 
            result),

And it works when the dates end with (“A” or “*”) but there is an error if the date does not end with these letters

I have attached both the Data Source and PBIX file

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @2019 

As there is a saying that there are zillions of ways to solve the problem in PBI. I am not very good with Power Query, but I used a column from the example and got the result. You can copy the below code in a blank query and test.

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\v-akukreja\Downloads\12 Week Data.xlsx"), null, true),
Data_Sheet = Source{[Item="Data",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Data_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Activity ID", type text}, {"Start", type text}, {"Finish", type date}}),
#"Added Custom Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each let splitStart = Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c))([Start]) in Text.Combine({Text.Combine(List.Transform({[Start]}, each Text.Start(_, 7)), "-"), Text.Middle(splitStart{1}?, 5), Text.Middle(splitStart{2}?, 3, 1)}), type text),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom Column",{{"Custom", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @2019 

As there is a saying that there are zillions of ways to solve the problem in PBI. I am not very good with Power Query, but I used a column from the example and got the result. You can copy the below code in a blank query and test.

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\v-akukreja\Downloads\12 Week Data.xlsx"), null, true),
Data_Sheet = Source{[Item="Data",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Data_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Activity ID", type text}, {"Start", type text}, {"Finish", type date}}),
#"Added Custom Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each let splitStart = Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c))([Start]) in Text.Combine({Text.Combine(List.Transform({[Start]}, each Text.Start(_, 7)), "-"), Text.Middle(splitStart{1}?, 5), Text.Middle(splitStart{2}?, 3, 1)}), type text),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom Column",{{"Custom", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja

@AnkitKukreja 

After further analysis, I have found out there are some dates ending with 02 instead of 22

As shown in below snapshot:

Screenshot 2022-10-10 181331.jpg

Hi! @2019 

I see the same data in the custom column as available in your Start column. I am attaching the pbix for your ref.

AnkitKukreja_0-1665475734928.png

Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja

@AnkitKukreja 

Your method it worked, i am still trying to understand the steps that you followed

Helper II
Helper II

Thank you for your reply, as matter of fact the current problem if the date is correct and does not end with (“*” or “A”) is where I keep getting the error messages

Dinesh_Suranga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@2019 ,

HI,

It does not show me any error in your query.

Have there a space befor the letter A or *?

May I know the error message?

Thank you

@Dinesh_Suranga 

There is a space before letter "A"

Attached is a screenshot of the error i have:

Screenshot 2022-10-10 150816.jpg

Dinesh_Suranga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@2019 

In power query space count as one letter. 

So you have to remove last two letters.

Try following code.

// This Code to Remove "*" and "A" from the Start date row
    #"Custom Start Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "Custom.Start", each let 
            x = Text.End([Start],1),
            y = Text.From(Text.RemoveRange([Start],Text.Length([Start])-2,2)),
            result =    if x = "A" then y
                   else if x = "*" then  y
                     else Text.From([Start])
        in 
            result),

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors