Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Query breaks because of changing amount of columns in other files

Hello Communty. 

I have made some transformation to an excel file. 

I would like to apply these transformations to any other files with about the same strucure. 

The issue is that the amount of columns is not always the same. Therefore, in my query, when I move a custom column to the bigining, the query breaks because on the new file, it does not find for example the column 5 (The column 'Column5' of the table wasn't found.)

Let's say I have the below dataset on whicj I applied the transformations :

Column1Column2Column3Column4
brand01/0101/0201/03
Xyz500200200
DUM100200100

after I create a custom column that seats next to Column4, I move it to the begining.

= Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Custom", "Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4"})

Now if I apply the same query step on the below dataset, my query breaks:

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5
brand01/0101/0201/0301/03
FUM100200200400
RIM200200100500

How could I solve this issue? 

Thanks,

Chris 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We started with Table.AddColumn, now it's Table.DuplicateColumn. Okay. Try this 

= Table.ReorderColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{"Column1 - Copy"} & List.Difference(Table.ColumnNames(#"Duplicated Column"), {"Column1 - Copy"}))

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

If someone would find this post and having the same kind of question, I found this video that is very helpfull: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqXho7ndgU

Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

thanks for the help @AlienSx 

Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @AlienSx , thanks for your reply. Do you replace the "source" term by your actual source? whether I replace the term source or I leave it as it is, I get an error. 

If I use the query as it is above, I get Expression.Error: The column 'Name' of the table wasn't found.Details:
Name

thanks

the one that was modified by 

#"Added Conditional Column"

@AlienSx 

so this is my step : = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{"Column1 - Copy"} & Table.ColumnNames("C:\Users\CC\Drive\ABC\ABC.xlsx")). 

But somehow I get an error

We started with Table.AddColumn, now it's Table.DuplicateColumn. Okay. Try this 

= Table.ReorderColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{"Column1 - Copy"} & List.Difference(Table.ColumnNames(#"Duplicated Column"), {"Column1 - Copy"}))
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Chrisjr 

= Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Custom"} & Table.ColumnNames(Source))

where Source is your original table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors