Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Power Query Newb: Display Relations In Excel Table?

So I am grabbing some data from a website and that part is working fine already. The data looks like this:

Here is the Advanced Editor code for this screen:

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://vistaprojects.currentscm.com/api/v1/dynamic_reporting/order_items/order_items_report?initialize=false&project_id=1796716964&includeFilters=true", [Headers=[Authorization="Bearer XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX", #"TEAM-TOKEN"="635555956"]])),

#"Table_Order_Items" = Table.SelectColumns(Table.FromRecords(Record.ToTable(Source){1}[Value][data]), {"id", "order_id", "offer_item_id", "catalog_item_id", "quantity", "created_at", "updated_at", "relations"})

in
Table_Order_Items

But what I need to see is the tag number, which is buried deep in the Relations column:

Here is the Advanced Editor code for this screen:

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://vistaprojects.currentscm.com/api/v1/dynamic_reporting/order_items/order_items_report?initialize=false&project_id=1796716964&includeFilters=true", [Headers=[Authorization="Bearer XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX", #"TEAM-TOKEN"="635555956"]])),

#"Table_Order_Items" = Table.SelectColumns(Table.FromRecords(Record.ToTable(Source){1}[Value][data]), {"id", "order_id", "offer_item_id", "catalog_item_id", "quantity", "created_at", "updated_at", "relations"}),
relations = Table_Order_Items{0}[relations],
tags = relations[tags],
tags1 = tags{0}

in
tags1

I want to see the tag data "90-B-01" as a column in my main data query (Table_Order_Items). But I am a newb and I don't know how to do this. I know almost nothing about coding languages like this because I am more of an engineer type than I am a software developer type. Is anyone able to give me a step-by-step explanation of how to do this, understanding that I don't have the foundational knowledge really required to understand many of the terms that I've thrown around like "table join" and "merge queries" and things like that?

I have spoofed some data, here is what I want the result to look like (shown in red):

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Foood, thanks for this info. I've updated the original post with table data. The second screenshot I've retained - It has good resolution/visibility for me when you press + on it to zoom in, but it's scaled weird in the preview because it's wide but not tall. Also I'm not working with Power BI so I don't have a desktop file for it.

Please replace the 1st and 2nd images (if they are necessary to understand the question) as they are not clear when expanded (as added to the post).  As well, please add your work-in-progress Excel file so that members of the Forum are able to assess the state.

foodd_1-1691777196007.png

foodd_0-1691776955450.png

foodd
Super User
Super User

Hello, and thank you for adding your question to the Community Forum where members volunteer their time and efforts to help others.  At a high level, members of all skills and abilities are willing to explain in an at-the-elbow fashion.   From a quick glance, I noticed that the screenshots of the tables you pasted in the question are quite small and difficult to read.   Please update the posting with new ones.  The most important help that folks require is that you please provide your work-in-progress Power BI Desktop file (with sensitive information removed) that covers your issue or question completely in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

This allows members of the Forum to assess the state of the model, report layer, relationships, and any DAX applied.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors