Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Ennygreat

Please I need help

Ennygreat_0-1715451654560.png

Inconsistent data.JPG

I'm trying to work on a column using power query and I encountered an inconsistent data entry. The region doesn't align and was repeated with different space method. Kindly see attached screenshot document the region segment to understand better and if you can profer solution for me. Thank you. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GauravAher

Hi,

To remove leading and trailing spaces from your data, use the Trim function. First, go to the Transform Data page, select the Region column, right-click, choose Transform, and select Trim.

I made a YouTube video on this issue. If my solution helps you, please subscribe and like the video at
https://youtu.be/2H-DASuXF6A 

Thank You

View solution in original post

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Ennygreat, if you also have spaces between words - you can do this:

Result

dufoq3_0-1715606917933.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WUlBwLC0uKUrMyUxUitWJVgrNyyxJTVHwzsxLT8nPBQspKPilliuAQFRqYk5iXgpUVCE4tSgJpC0WAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    Ad_RemovedSpaces = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Removed Spaces", each Text.Combine(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Text.Split([Column1], " "), {""}), " "), type text)
in
    Ad_RemovedSpaces

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Ennygreat, if you also have spaces between words - you can do this:

Result

dufoq3_0-1715606917933.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WUlBwLC0uKUrMyUxUitWJVgrNyyxJTVHwzsxLT8nPBQspKPilliuAQFRqYk5iXgpUVCE4tSgJpC0WAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    Ad_RemovedSpaces = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Removed Spaces", each Text.Combine(List.RemoveMatchingItems(Text.Split([Column1], " "), {""}), " "), type text)
in
    Ad_RemovedSpaces

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

GauravAher

Hi,

To remove leading and trailing spaces from your data, use the Trim function. First, go to the Transform Data page, select the Region column, right-click, choose Transform, and select Trim.

I made a YouTube video on this issue. If my solution helps you, please subscribe and like the video at
https://youtu.be/2H-DASuXF6A 

Thank You

Thank you 

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You can add a column using each Text.Trim([Region]), or just select the Region column and use the Trim GUI command.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Ennygreat

Someone should please attend to this if you know how to solve it. Thank you 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors