Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lcubed69

Pivot Table from Power BI Error

I currently have a Power BI file where I created a Visual based on 3 files/tables.  I'm basically trying to recreate this visual data summarized into an Excel Pivot table.  I have my Power BI file on "My Workspace" to create the data set.  Opened, excel, was able to insert Pivot Table from the Dataset. 

I'm able to put from one table the 5 Digit Company Code and 7 Digit Cost Center Code Columns into the Rows.

I'm able to put from the same table the Billable and Active columns into the Columns.

In a normal pivot table, I'd then drop from the UserID's column into the values to give me a count of people in each Company/Cost Center.  In this case the UserID is coming from a different table in my Power BI where in the Power BI there is a relationship (and it works in the visual).  However in my pivot table when I try and drag my UserID column into the Values box, I'm getting "The field you are moving cannot be placed in that area of the report".  

Since this is an ongoing task that I have to do, was hoping to just refresh my data in PowerBI, open my Excel file and refresh my data there to update the pivot table for each time I need to do this.  

When I just export my visual and go to create my Pivot table, unfortunately because it exports as a CSV it strips off all the leading zero's within the company / cost center fields, which I can of course build back but wouldn't be my preferred process as it takes more work.  

I'm kind of a newbie at this, any recommendations that might this easier or get the Pivot to allow me to drop that field into the Values box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
_elbpower
Resolver III
Resolver III

Generate a calculation measure for counting UserID within your Power BI dataset, and then employ this measure in your Excel Pivot Table.

UserCount = COUNT('YourTableName'[UserID])

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
_elbpower
Resolver III
Resolver III

Generate a calculation measure for counting UserID within your Power BI dataset, and then employ this measure in your Excel Pivot Table.

UserCount = COUNT('YourTableName'[UserID])

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors