Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rpiboy_1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Pass Text String as Function Name

Web.Contents is constrained to having a valid URL in the intial arguement in order to be able to refresh automatically in the PowerBI Service. Therefore, if the URL contains a geography the only way I can think of to iterate over multiple geographies, is to create a function that contains the core URL and then arguements for the relative path changes and header information.

So I'll end up with functions named like this:

Fn-US

Fn-CA

Fn-EU

Fn-AU

etc....

I can set-up a table that looks like this:

Geo

US
CA
EU
AU

Now I would like to invoke each custom function as a new column, but I want to use the 'correct' function for Each.

Is there anyway that I can construct/pass the Geo Column to covert it to the M code where I can pass the '#Fn-US':

#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "ColumnName", each #"Fn-US"())

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
slorin
Super User
Super User

Hi,

With Fn_US, Fn_CA ... and not Fn-US, Fn_CA

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "ColumnName", each Expression.Evaluate("Fn_"&[Geo]&"()",#shared))

With Fn-US

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "ColumnName", each Expression.Evaluate("#(#)""Fn-"&[Geo]&"""()", #shared))

Stéphane 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
rpiboy_1
Resolver I
Resolver I

This post also does a nice job of explaining the Expression.Evaluate function further: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/02/06/expression-evaluate-in-power-querym/

rpiboy_1
Resolver I
Resolver I

@slorin thanks! It never occured to me to look for a function that would execute functions! (duh!). Thanks also for the tip on syntax in terms of '_' versus '-'.

After posting it occured to me that I could also embed IF's into a single function, and pass the geo code for evaluation by the IF and that does seem to work.

For my purposes I think multiple functions (by geo) would be cleaner, however I am curious to know if anyone has feedback on the relative performance and/or peformance penalties of using the execute function with concatentation versus a series of embedded IF statements in a single function. It strikes me that the IF route would impose a 'higher' penalty though it is likely pretty minimal.

slorin
Super User
Super User

Hi,

With Fn_US, Fn_CA ... and not Fn-US, Fn_CA

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "ColumnName", each Expression.Evaluate("Fn_"&[Geo]&"()",#shared))

With Fn-US

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "ColumnName", each Expression.Evaluate("#(#)""Fn-"&[Geo]&"""()", #shared))

Stéphane 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors