Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jchacko
Regular Visitor

New data imported was not cleaned as the original data that was cleaned

I imported data from excel, when through multiple steps of cleaning the data using Transform Data- screen shot below on the applied steps

jchacko_0-1692812736086.png

Then I imported new data by using "Get Data" and then "Transfrom Data"

The data was brought in, but was not cleaned. Screen shots of applied steps below.

jchacko_1-1692812894256.png

let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jchacko
Regular Visitor

The second file that was imported was a similarily formatted excel file as the first one. I was expecting that "Transform Data" will to perform all the steps completed with the initial data set to the new file.

Am I wrong in thinking that way. I just started using Power BI.  

Great idea, though, no, not so much.    However, good news.  If the files are the same, you can reuse the query for the next file, after a small number of edits to the query.   What sort of help or guidance are you needing at this time?   There are many resources available.   Forum members are of a similar pay it forward mindset.

Rick De Groot:  Learn Power Query: Comprehensive Beginners Guide [2023]

Chandoo:  Power Query Tutorial – What is it, How to use, Full examples, Tips & Tricks

Thanks. The rsources are very good. I will go through them. How do I reuse the query for the next file?

I copied the query from one file to the next and it did clean up the data. Now I need to figure out how to combine the files into one. Thanks for your help.

foodd
Super User
Super User

Would you please add more details to your question that is not clear.   

From your description, The images show two different queries and presumably two different Excel files   The first query shows a number of steps that transformed performed.   The second query represents importing a file, promoting headers, and changing the data types. 

Would you please share your Power BI Desktop file, source Excel files, and an image showing your desired

results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors