Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Multiply all columns with numbers by -1, skip columns with text in power query

I have data where the first 3 columns are text and the rest are numbers. I want to multiply the columns with numbers by -1 so the text remains. Sample data

Source                                K1 Name:                       EIN                                              Carry Fwd Tax Capital  Tax - Capital Contr

ACTUALabc inc11-1111111100000200000
ACTUALdef inc22-2222222200000300000

results requested:

Source                                K1 Name:                       EIN                                              Carry Fwd Tax Capital  Tax - Capital Contr

ACTUALabc inc11-1111111-100000-200000
ACTUALdef inc22-2222222-200000-300000
5 REPLIES 5
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks you. I am still learning. Do I need to replace any of the text above, such as below? I don't recognize these

Json.Document
"i45WcnQOCXX0UdJRSkxKVsjMSwayDA11DYEAxDIAAiBtBKZjdZCUp6SmQZUbGekaAQFcmY6SMUR5LAA="

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

As  @lbendlin  said, you just need to create a new query in power bi desktop.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1696467816253.png

Then put the code i have offered to the advanced editor to this blank query

vxinruzhumsft_1-1696467885734.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

You can put the following code to advanced editor in power query

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnQOCXX0UdJRSkxKVsjMSwayDA11DYEAxDIAAiBtBKZjdZCUp6SmQZUbGekaAQFcmY6SMUR5LAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [a = _t, b = _t, c = _t, d = _t, f = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"a", type text}, {"b", type text}, {"c", type text}, {"d", Int64.Type}, {"f", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Custom", each if Value.Is([Value],Number.Type) then Int64.From([Value])*(-1) else [Value]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Value"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Removed Columns", {"Attribute"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [Attribute=text, Custom=any]}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.AddIndexColumn([Count],"Index",1,1)),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Count"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "Custom", {"Custom", "Index"}, {"Custom.1", "Index"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Expanded Custom", List.Distinct(#"Expanded Custom"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Custom.1"),
    #"Removed Columns2" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns2"

Output

vxinruzhumsft_0-1696232173016.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can use Value.Is - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn  for that, or brute force it via "try ... otherwise ..."

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors