Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DLX_Ares_SP
Regular Visitor

Loop in M query

Hi,

I am trying to make a loop with an M query, but I can't find the solution.

First, why I want to do it: I am getting information via API from one of the platforms we use in our company. I have no problem with this query, but there is a limitation on the information I can get in each query. So, in one of the queries, if I want to get the complete history of data, it exceeds the amount of the info I can get at once.

I think it could be solved using the following approach: Since I can bound the query with start and end date of the data I request. I have created a 'calendar' query, called Date_ranges, in which I have created all the days between the two dates of my interest. Then I have reduced it to two columns: one with the first date of the month and one with the last day of the month. I have the idea of running the query month by month and join all the results:

let
    Origen = Table.FromColumns(
    {
        {StartDate},
        {Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())}
    },
    type table [StartDate = date, EndDate = date]
),
    #"Personalizada agregada" = Table.AddColumn(Origen, "Dates", each {Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate])}),
    #"Se expandió Personalizado" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Personalizada agregada", "Dates"),
    #"Tipo cambiado" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Se expandió Personalizado",{{"Dates", type date}}),
    #"Columnas quitadas" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Tipo cambiado",{"StartDate", "EndDate"}),
    #"Inicio del mes insertado" = Table.AddColumn(#"Columnas quitadas", "StartOfMonth", each Date.StartOfMonth([Dates]), type date),
    #"Personalizada agregada1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inicio del mes insertado", "EndOfMonth", each Date.EndOfMonth([Dates]), type date),
    #"Columnas quitadas1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Personalizada agregada1",{"Dates"}),
    #"Duplicados quitados" = Table.Distinct(#"Columnas quitadas1", {"StartOfMonth"})
in
    #"Duplicados quitados"

Up to this step the result is satisfactory as expected:

DLX_Ares_SP_0-1695277310546.png

Now it is time to perform the loop, which I am not able to define correctly, is the actual query without the loop is as follows:

let
    StartDate = "",
    EndDate = "",

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.aceproject.com/?fct=login&accountid=*********&username=data_source&password="&Password&"&browserinfo=NULL&language=NULL&format=JSON")),
    results = Source[results],
    results1 = results{0},
    GUID = results1[GUID],
    Source2 = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("https://api.aceproject.com/?fct=gettimereport&guid=" & GUID & "&view=1&otherview=NULL&timesheetlineid=NULL&projectid=NULL&filtermyworkitems=False&filtertimecreatoruserid=NULL&filtertimecreatorusergroupid=NULL&filtertimetypeid=NULL&filtertimelevel=0&filtertimestatus=NULL&filterdatefrom="& StartDate &"&filterdateto="& EndDate &"&filterprojecttypeid=NULL&filterclientid=NULL&filtertaskid=NULL&filtertaskgroupid=NULL&filtertasktypeid=NULL&countonly=False&isshowtotalsonly=False&fieldstodisplay=NULL&sortorder=NULL&asynccall=False&asynccallid=NULL&exportdomainevaleur=NULL&exporttype=NULL&exportdelimiter=NULL&exportdecimalsymbol=NULL&exportlcid=0&exportonscreencolumnsonly=True&exportview=0&exportviewother=NULL&exportfieldstodisplay=NULL&exportremovehtmlonly=True&exportenablefilterxls=False&format=xml")),
    Table = Source2{0}[Table]
in
    Table

The idea would be to make a loop that takes the data from the Date_ranges query row by row. Using the start and end day of the month as a variable in each iteration and then appending the API output, do it until the last row of the Data_ranges query.

Can anyone help on this? is it feasible?

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @DLX_Ares_SP make a custom function out of your "actual query without the loop" with dates as parameters, transform dates using Date.ToText like this:

my_little_query = (sd as date, ed as date) =>
  let 
    StartDate = Date.ToText(sd),
    EndDate = DateToText(ed),
    <the rest of your original query>

use optional parameters of Date.ToText to control it's text output. Then you may use Table.AddColumn in your Date_ranges query to feed this custom function with StartOfMonth and EndOfMonth to get a column with tables: 

Table.AddColumn(
  #"Duplicados quitados", "tables", 
  (x) => my_little_query(x[StartOfMonth], x[EndOfMonth])
)

Then you may expand this new column with tables the way you want.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors