Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Stubrg
Helper I
Helper I

List.generate Issues

Hi Experts,

I am having an issue with the below code, It lays around the : result = List.Generate(
() => [runningTotal, additionalValuesList, 0],  I get a error message stating that i need a token']' but can not find a issue here.

Any help as always would be greatly appreciated 

Kind Regards

RunningTotal     AdditionalValues

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
AddValues = Table.AddColumn(Source, "AdjustedRunningTotal", each
let
runningTotal = [RunningTotal],
additionalValuesList = List.Buffer(Table.Column(Source, "AdditionalValues")),
result = List.Generate(
() => [runningTotal, additionalValuesList, 0],
each List.First(_) < 0,
each [
List.First(_) + List.First(List.Middle(_)),
List.RemoveFirstN(List.Middle(_), 1),
List.Last(List.Middle(_)) + List.First(List.Middle(_))
]
)
in
List.First(result)
)
in
AddValues

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Stubrg [runningTotal, additionalValuesList, 0] is record, record has fields, fields have names. Your record does not have field names. 

Next, each List.First(_) < 0 evaluates each item in the list that List.Generate generates. But wait, the very first item is record, not list.

And finally, even if you fix all bugs in your code then List.First(result) is going to give you ... the very first item which is your record defined in the very first line of List.Generate. 

You'd better explain here how would you like the column AdjustedRunningTotal to be calculated.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Stubrg [runningTotal, additionalValuesList, 0] is record, record has fields, fields have names. Your record does not have field names. 

Next, each List.First(_) < 0 evaluates each item in the list that List.Generate generates. But wait, the very first item is record, not list.

And finally, even if you fix all bugs in your code then List.First(result) is going to give you ... the very first item which is your record defined in the very first line of List.Generate. 

You'd better explain here how would you like the column AdjustedRunningTotal to be calculated.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors