Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

caninetiger
Regular Visitor

Import all CSV files from folder with different schemas

Hi,

I have a folder with 300+ csv files. It's a mass download that I receive on a regular basis mirroring our EMR's database so each file is it's own table with a different schema. I'd like to import all of them into Power BI. I need them imported as separate tables so each table is listed on the side like with any other import of multiple tables (e.g. several tables from an excel file or database). I don't see any options allowing me to automatically read all the tables in that folder in, nor do I see a way to select multiple csv files. How can I get all those tables without having to click "get data" for each and every one of them?

Thanks,

Yisroel Len

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @caninetiger 

Currently Power Query doesn't support to create more queries(tables) automatically or dynamically from a table. So this is not possible at present. I read your discussion in another thread about this and you may decide to use a Python script to write them into an Excel Workbook or a database. This seems the best alternative currently. 

But I'd like to remind that if these files have too many rows, it may hit the data size limit as you will have 300+ tables in a semantic model. You may refer to Power BI limit for number of tables - Microsoft Fabric Community There is no document to point out that the limit for number of tables in Power BI but there is limit to data size.

Best Regards,
Jing

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
caninetiger
Regular Visitor

@Greg_Deckler unfortunately they all have different schemas... It's the only mass download option the software gives us.

So, I've been praying.

@caninetiger OK, so what do you want to end up with? A single table with all of the rows from all of the files or 300+ tables, one for each file or something else?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

300+ tables, one for each file. It's a mass export from our EHR. They've basically mirrored a lot of the underlying data model with tables for patients, tables for employees, tables for encounters etc. The correct way to go about this is to import all of it in and properly build out the relationships between tables in Power BI. That way I can easily create graphs and reports.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that's the best way to go about it. I just can't figure out how to import them all at the same time.

@caninetiger OK, found a similar issue and maybe the technique will work for you.

dynamically import files from a folder WITHOUT com... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler, please excuse my inexperience but I searched through it and I'm not sure where the solution is.

I see your recommendation at the bottom and I've previously looked into writing a specialized function that perhaps could separate all the files in the folder into separate tables but I'm not familiar enough with the M language to do that. I've gotten only as far as listing all the files as separate tables in Power Query (see pic below), but I wouldn't know what to do next:

caninetiger_0-1712691960349.png

Hi @caninetiger 

Currently Power Query doesn't support to create more queries(tables) automatically or dynamically from a table. So this is not possible at present. I read your discussion in another thread about this and you may decide to use a Python script to write them into an Excel Workbook or a database. This seems the best alternative currently. 

But I'd like to remind that if these files have too many rows, it may hit the data size limit as you will have 300+ tables in a semantic model. You may refer to Power BI limit for number of tables - Microsoft Fabric Community There is no document to point out that the limit for number of tables in Power BI but there is limit to data size.

Best Regards,
Jing

Here's that Python script if anyone wants to use it:

import pandas as pd
import glob
from pathlib import Path

# path to your folder
folder_path = r"C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Downloads\FOLDER_NAME/*.csv"

# create an excel file 
with pd.ExcelWriter("EXCEL_FILE_NAME.xlsx") as writer:
# Get paths for every csv file in the folder
    for file_path in glob.glob(folder_path):
        # get each file name
        file_name=Path(file_path).stem
        # read the file into pandas
        df = pd.read_csv(file_path)
        # write the file into the excel file with each csv file becoming it's own sheet
        df.to_excel(writer, sheet_name=file_name, index=False)

Just a heads up about the above code, if any of your csv file names have more than 31 characters, excel will reject it as a sheet name and the code will break.

Best,

Yisroel

@caninetiger I would recommend reaching out to the user that originally posted the issue and/or @ImkeF 

Latest book!:

@caninetiger Let me think about this one.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@caninetiger If they all have the same schema, then you can use a Folder query. If they all have different schemas may God have mercy on your soul...

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors