Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rwm4

I am trying to extract a 4digit year from an alphanumeric column with several string combinations

Input column is called "title and data

Fritz Haag 2014 Riesling (Mosel)
G7 2012 The 7th Generation Gran Reserva Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon (Loncomilla Valley)
Le Cadeau 2014 Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley)

let
removeChars = List.Transform({33..47, 58..90, 97..122}, each Character.FromNumber(_)),
Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\rmuse\Desktop\CS513\Winemag\winemag-data-130k-v2.csv\winemag-data-130k-v2.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=14, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"", Int64.Type}, {"country", type text}, {"description", type text}, {"designation", type text}, {"points", Int64.Type}, {"price", Int64.Type}, {"province", type text}, {"region_1", type text}, {"region_2", type text}, {"taster_name", type text}, {"taster_twitter_handle", type text}, {"title", type text}, {"variety", type text}, {"winery", type text}}),
addCalcOutput = Table.AddColumn(chgTypes, "calcOutput", each Text.Remove([title], removeChars)),
chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"title", type text}, {"calcOutput", Int64.Type}}),
splitByDelimiter = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(addCalcOutput, {{"calcOutput", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "calcOutput"),
filterLengthFour = Table.SelectRows(splitByDelimiter, each Text.Length([calcOutput]) = 4)
in
filterLengthFour

I tried adapting the above code from a previously solved problem but seem to be getting stuck on the error bellow.

This is the error I keep getting

rwm4_1-1658906087773.png

Please help I have spent a few hours on this problem. Thanks

RWM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @rwm4 ,

You need to properly align your M code. The first reference in each function should be the name of the previous step in order for PQ to work through the steps sequentially:

BA_Pete_0-1658940965414.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @rwm4 ,

You need to properly align your M code. The first reference in each function should be the name of the previous step in order for PQ to work through the steps sequentially:

BA_Pete_0-1658940965414.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

rwm4

Hi,
 "title" is ingested as one of the columns in my dataset. Desired output is to generate/ add a new column "calcOutput" which displays the extracted year. I have tried the Column from example and tried manually splitting, both options do not produce the desired extraction.

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"", Int64.Type}, {"country", type text}, {"description", type text}, {"designation", type text}, {"points", Int64.Type}, {"price", Int64.Type}, {"province", type text}, {"region_1", type text}, {"region_2", type text}, {"taster_name", type text}, {"taster_twitter_handle", type text}, {"title", type text}, {"variety", type text}, {"winery", type text}}),

title

calcOutput

Fritz Haag 2014 Riesling (Mosel)

G7 2012 The 7th Generation Gran Reserva Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon (Loncomilla Valley)

Le Cadeau 2014 Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley)

Domaine Cauhapé 2012 Ballet d'Octobre  (Jurançon)

Nefarious 2010 Rx-3 Red Wine Red (Columbia Valley (WA))

Quinta dos Murças NV 10 Anos Old Tawny  (Port)

null

Winter's Hill 2015 Block 9 114 Pinot Noir (Dundee Hills)

Quinta do Portal NV 10-Years-Old Tawny  (Port)

null

Donna Olimpia 1898 2013 Millepassi  (Bolgheri)

1898 2013

Clos Venturi 2015 1769 Carcajolu (Vin de France)

2015 1769

Fox Run 2011 Riesling 10 Hanging Delta Vineyard Riesling (Finger Lakes)

Thanks

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It's telling you at the stage :

chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"title", type text}, {"calcOutput", Int64.Type}}),

There is no column called "title".  That should be fairly straightforward to find out.

-----

Do you want us to debug the code you've posted (will need proper sample data not just the data provided above) OR do you want some help on the problem in the post title (If so, show us what the desired result is)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors