Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Roisin

How to switch Default Summation off in Power BI

Hi all,

To be clear, this relates to Power BI online, not the Desktop version. Does anybody know how to switch Default Summation off in Power BI? Halfway through my graphing it begain including 'sum of' before every title, no idea how to turn it off!!!

Help please 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Roisin 

Most visuals require the value fields to be aggregated. For numeric fields, it usually takes Sum by default and adds "Sum of" to the name. You can rename it easily by right clicking on the field and select Rename for this visual

vjingzhang_0-1665995702417.png

For the visuals that support unaggregated fields (Table, Multi-row Card), you can select "Don't summarize" option to show unaggregated values and it will remove "Sum of" from the name. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

Thank-you so much! this did the trick to rename it, as the option of 'dont summarize' is not in any dropdown.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I don't have that option for do not summarize. What am I missing?

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

This functionality is very different in the Desktop and is not apparent to me, the Desktop user.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Roisin 

Most visuals require the value fields to be aggregated. For numeric fields, it usually takes Sum by default and adds "Sum of" to the name. You can rename it easily by right clicking on the field and select Rename for this visual

vjingzhang_0-1665995702417.png

For the visuals that support unaggregated fields (Table, Multi-row Card), you can select "Don't summarize" option to show unaggregated values and it will remove "Sum of" from the name. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

hi how can i stop summing my column

Thank-you so much! this did the trick to rename it, as the option of 'dont summarize' is not in any dropdown.

MarkLaf
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As you've seen, when you drag a column into a visual, the default behavior is to convert the field into an aggregation instead of the distinct list of values, e.g. "Sum of Value" instead of "Value".

This is an easy fix even when editing in the service which has a lot less functionality than BPI Desktop. Just click the drop-down on the field, and choose the "Don't summarize" option.

MarkLaf_2-1665719827069.gif

I'll add for completeness that if you do end up editing in PBI Desktop ever, you can actually change this default behavior of the field such that when you drag it into a visual it will behave differently:

MarkLaf_3-1665720218457.png

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

try to use a real measure in the visual instead of quick measures.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors