Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Maieev
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to prepare table in power query to load to pbi

Hi,

I tried to prepare this table to load to PBI but I cannot get the result I want.

Maieev_0-1659373571035.png

I would like to get something like this, with timeline (days), delays (days) and lost sales (currency) as averages. I wanted to transpose table and match phases with names of the columns in pq but the result is still bad. Each Phase has some has several corresponding columns. So for example if in first slicer I pick Phase3/4 I would like to see on all graphs Phases 3, 4 and Phase3/4. Moreover, I would like to count how many times (also as a percentage, this first circular chart) there was a delay due to phase 3 and how many times from phase 4 or no delay (column O in excel file). It would be perfect if I could also drop this in Delays column chart to see which phase caused the delay.

Phase1Phase1 timeline
 Phase1 delays
 Phase1 sales lost
Phase2Phase2 timeline
Phase3Phase3 timeline
 Phase3 delays
Phase4Phase4 timeline
 Phase4 delays
Phase3/4Phase3/4 delays
 Phase3/4 sales lost
 Phase3 timeline
 Phase3 delays
 Phase4 timeline
 Phase4 delays
Phase5Phase5 timeline
 Phase5 delays
 Phase5 sales lost
Phase6Phase6 timeline
 Phase6 delays
 Phase6 sales lost

If anyone could lead me to any solution, I'd be grateful. I am enclosing sample data. Thank you.

sample file: https://files.fm/u/c7xtu254c 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Maieev
Resolver I
Resolver I

I managed to get some solution for this but in kinda different way. First I unpivoted columns as suggested but then I splited Attribute one by delimiter. That's how I got three columns:

Maieev_1-1660113797342.png

so Stage means Phase1, Phase2, etc., Type is delays, timeline or sales lost and value is value. So from this point it is very simple to show the data because I can just put Type as a filter and show the data that I want :). Thanks for the suggestion.

Maieev_0-1660113725245.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Maieev
Resolver I
Resolver I

I managed to get some solution for this but in kinda different way. First I unpivoted columns as suggested but then I splited Attribute one by delimiter. That's how I got three columns:

Maieev_1-1660113797342.png

so Stage means Phase1, Phase2, etc., Type is delays, timeline or sales lost and value is value. So from this point it is very simple to show the data because I can just put Type as a filter and show the data that I want :). Thanks for the suggestion.

Maieev_0-1660113725245.png

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Maieev ,

You would try to unpivot the colums with Phase.

Below are the detailed steps.

1.Go to Power Query Editor, select all the columns with Phase, then click 'Unpivot Columns'.

Then you'll get a attribute column with different kinds of phase and the a value column with values.

vstephenmsft_0-1659600968207.png

2.Add a column from examples. Rename the column from examples as Phase.

vstephenmsft_1-1659601285557.png

vstephenmsft_2-1659601339911.png

Here's a simple result to display.

vstephenmsft_3-1659601441490.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors