Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

timothius

How to load a PowerBI symantic model as source for Power Query in Excel

Dears, hope you can help me with the following. I am trying to do some data transformations in Excel Power Query on data that is from an existing connection that I got through: Data - Get Data - From Power Platform - From PowerBI. 

How do I get this connection to show up in Power Query as a source? When I select new source there in Power Query I do not have the 'From PowerBI' option anymore.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @timothius ,

As you said, connecting to the semantic model is Live connection mode, and Power Query is not supported in Live connection mode. There is no other mode to connect to a semantic model except Live connection mode, so it is true that you can't connect to a semantic model in the Power Query Editor.
This link has a detailed list of Power Query data sources in Excel:
Power Query data sources in Excel versions - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @timothius ,

If you can't find "From PowerBI" option in your Excel, it is possible that your tenant's administrator has turned off the relevant tenant setting, please contact your tenant's administrator to enable the setting for you.

vjunyantmsft_0-1710727291209.png

vjunyantmsft_1-1710727325272.png

If your tenant administrator has turned on the settings, check to see if you have Build access to the semantic model in Power BI? Or are you in the Contributor role and above in the workspace?

vjunyantmsft_2-1710727443044.png

You must also have a Fabric license to use this feature.

vjunyantmsft_3-1710727511115.png

In addition to this, I would also recommend that you check the version of Excel. Your version of Excel Desktop must be an updated version of Excel for the web.

vjunyantmsft_4-1710727596993.png

vjunyantmsft_5-1710727604245.png

All of the above suggestions can be found in this document, please follow the document to troubleshoot the cause yourself, thank you!
Power BI semantic model experience in Excel - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-junyant-msft for the comprehensive explanation. 

The thing that strikes me is that I am able to (in the same file) add a live connection to the semantic model I need and create a pivot as per below:

timothius_0-1710794008683.png

However in the same file, I can't create a source on PowerQuery, to that semantic model as the option for PowerBI is not there. 

timothius_1-1710794246739.png

Maybe I am doing something wrong? Appreciate your time and effort here!

Hi @timothius ,

As you said, connecting to the semantic model is Live connection mode, and Power Query is not supported in Live connection mode. There is no other mode to connect to a semantic model except Live connection mode, so it is true that you can't connect to a semantic model in the Power Query Editor.
This link has a detailed list of Power Query data sources in Excel:
Power Query data sources in Excel versions - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,
Dino Tao

amustafa
Super User
Super User

In your Excel, make sure that you are signed in with your Power BI service acocunt.

or - From your Semantic Model, right click and select the Anlyse in excel option. This will open the Excel for Web. Download this excel copy to your desktop.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors