Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KasperS
Regular Visitor

How to get specific values from records within a list

Hi

I have a dataset containing information on a lot of systems we use in my organization. Each row equals to one system with the columns being information about a given system. I have a column called "Kontakter" (Contacts) which contains lists with n number of records in it, containing contact information about employees working on that system such as: Ansvarsområde (area of responsibility), navn (name), and mail. I want to extract the names of every employee that in the "area of responsibility" field has the value "Systemejerkontorchef" to a new column. How can that be done? 

KasperS_0-1647420656195.pngKasperS_1-1647420680507.png

KasperS_2-1647420830338.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Kasper 

You can create a function to help you do this

(listToSearch as any, searchFor as text) =>
let
    Source = listToSearch,
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"Ansvarsområde", "Name"}, {"Ansvarsområde", "Name"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Column1", each ([Ansvarsområde] = searchFor)),
    Custom1 = Table.ToRecords( #"Filtered Rows")
in
    Custom1

and then invoke that  as a custom function to your table

donsvensen_1-1647426885344.png

the function returns all the contacts with the title so by using {0} I only return the first in this case.

/Erik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to reconstruct your situation (if you want a precise answer this is a job you should do) and starting from this I tried to simulate what you ask.
Try using the yourtab query by replacing "Origin" with your real table.

Hi Kasper 

You can create a function to help you do this

(listToSearch as any, searchFor as text) =>
let
    Source = listToSearch,
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"Ansvarsområde", "Name"}, {"Ansvarsområde", "Name"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Column1", each ([Ansvarsområde] = searchFor)),
    Custom1 = Table.ToRecords( #"Filtered Rows")
in
    Custom1

and then invoke that  as a custom function to your table

donsvensen_1-1647426885344.png

the function returns all the contacts with the title so by using {0} I only return the first in this case.

/Erik

You should be able to pull specific parts from the record quite easily.

Create a new custom column.

Gospoole_0-1695304568813.png

Name it something appropriate

In the syntax box you should put something like this if for example you are pulling the Name of someone:

= [Column Name][Title]

Gospoole_1-1695304621079.png

or if its the email you want

=[Column Name][Email]

To check what the field in the record is called click the record in the power query and then simply delete that step to return to the query and start your column creation.

Gospoole_2-1695304647939.png

Nice and simple!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors