Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ikhwan_tokenomy
Frequent Visitor

Handling large decimal number

Hi PowerBI Community

I am dealing with large decimal number. and receive this error message.
"
DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Numeric value does not fit in a System.Decimal'
"

is there a way to fix this in power query? I don't want to exclude the data, I need to include them still. preferably not by reducing the decimal from the source

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It only shows 9 digits in the table but it maintains precision to about 15 significant figures.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-data-types

Fixed Decimals and Whole Numbers can express up to 19 digits of significance but aren't a good fit for the example given. For 20+ significant digits, you'd have to store them as text or break them into multiple columns.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vanpraetp
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ikhwan_tokenomy and @Greg_Deckler - I am experiencing exactly the same problem with a Postgres connection data import. Also dealing with a decimal number with a large amount of digits after the 'dot'. Also getting the error message "DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Numeric value does not fit in a System.Decimal". Did you find a way to deal with this?

ikhwan_tokenomy
Frequent Visitor

for example the number is

data source is postgre, field data type is numeric

@Greg_Deckler 

@ikhwan_tokenomy I don't have Postgres to test with but I imported from a CSV file and it imports OK. However, when converting to decimal number it only has a decimal precision of 9 as shown in Power Query. However, once it loads into the table it has 19. Seems like the only way to preserve it would be to have it be Text.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It only shows 9 digits in the table but it maintains precision to about 15 significant figures.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-data-types

Fixed Decimals and Whole Numbers can express up to 19 digits of significance but aren't a good fit for the example given. For 20+ significant digits, you'd have to store them as text or break them into multiple columns.

Thanks @AlexisOlson & @Greg_Deckler  for your response

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ikhwan_tokenomy That's a new one, just how big is this number?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors