Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JMikes
Helper I
Helper I

Error - Active Scripting Needed

Hello,

I'm trying to use NetSuite's WebQuery to automatically pull data into Excel and Power BI. It works really well sometimes, but it seems like bigger files have an issue. The error I'm getting is:

DataSource.Error: The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options.

We don't use Internet Explorer, so I'm not sure what to do. I thought I read somewhere that the issue is that the error happens if Power Query starts to scrape the HTML file before it's fully loaded. There is a site that talks about Function.InvokeAfter to introduce a delay. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this? Is this a potential solution for my issue? And, if so, what's the correct syntax? I can't find any examples using a web query string.

Unfortunatly, I can't share the web query string in this post.

7 REPLIES 7
cpwebb
Employee
Employee

Which version of Excel are you using? Can you try using the latest version of Power BI Desktop and seeing what code it generates for you? I suspect Power BI Desktop will use the Web.BrowserContents function which should work better.

Hello,

Here is the version of Excel we're using:

JMikes_3-1689606425692.png

Hello,

I tried Power BI. It fails before it even gets to the Navigator. So, I used a smaller Web Query (different report) that I knew would work. It did use the Web.BrowserContents. I tried to edit it using the problematic URL and added the WaitFor parameter and this is what I got:

JMikes_2-1689606248202.png

OK, well that error message seems conclusive: it's running out of memory, I assume because there's too much data. I don't think you'll be able to work around this so you have no choice but to find another way of connecting Power BI to your data.

Darn. Thanks so much for your advice!

cpwebb
Employee
Employee

Are you writing M code that uses the Web.Page function, or is it being generated for you somehow? Either way it's not an efficient way of getting large amounts of data and has been superceded by the Web.BrowserContents function, which isn't an efficient way of getting data into Power BI either - both Web.Page and Web.BrowserContents are meant to be used for web scraping, which usually involves relatively small data volumes.

Thanks for your response!

I am a novice. I am using the code generated by Power Query and then trying to edit based on information I found online. I've started with Excel and then hope to do the same in Power BI. I just can't get it to work and don't know if I'm even pursuing the right solution. I agree it's not the most efficient way to get the data. There is an ongoing project intended to get all of our NetSuite data (along with other independent systems) into a data warehouse. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, my division is on hold until sometime next year so I only have Web Query to work with. If I could get this to work, it would save a lot of time even if that meant refreshing the data and stepping away for a few minutes while it refreshes.

Here is what I tried, but it still doesn't work:

let
Source = Function.InvokeAfter(() => Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://...")),#duration(0,0,5,0)),
Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Data0, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Accounting Period: Name", type date}, {"Transaction Date", type date}, {"Transaction Type: Long Name", type text}, {"Document Number", type text}, {"Entity (Line): Name", type text}, {"Memo", type text}, {"Description", type text}, {"Source Document Description", type text}, {"Originating Document Number", type text}, {"Amount (Gross)", type text}, {"Department: Name", type text}, {"Category:Product: Name (Grouped)", type text}, {"Sales Channel: Name", type text}, {"Source Channel: Name", type text}, {"Region: Name", type text}, {"Subsidiary: Name", type text}, {"Campaign Expense Category: Name", type text}, {"Marketing Campaign: Name", type text}, {"Currency: Name", type text}, {"Item", type text}, {"Account Number", Int64.Type}, {"Account Name", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors