Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Jorgen

Direct Query and Add Column->Custom Function

Hi,

I'm trying to use custom functions and parameters to dynamically load data from SQL Server with DirectQuery. The problem is that when I try to add a column to a query created with DirectQuery I get the message "This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode".

Is this a limitation for DirectQuery? Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks and best regards

Jorgen  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jorgen,

I can reproduce your issue. This is a limitation of DirectQuery mode, I am afraid that you need to switch to Import mode to make the function work.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Jorgen,

Could you please share the function you create and describe more details about the parameter?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

I connect to sql server with DirectQuery and add a query like "select value from table where value = param", the parameter is a simple text value created with New Parameter (type=text, suggested value=any, current value=some value)

I use create function to convert this query to a function.

Then I connect to another table in the same sql server db which contains the parameters.

I want to add a column with the the custom function to the parameter table so every parameter can trigger the query and retreive the values for the particular parameter.

The problem is when I select Add Column -> Invoke Custom Function, I get the error message: "This step results in a query not supported in DirectQuery mode". Adding a custom column with no function seem to work fine, at least no error message.

Thanks,

Jørgen 

@Jorgen,

I can reproduce your issue. This is a limitation of DirectQuery mode, I am afraid that you need to switch to Import mode to make the function work.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors