Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thomaskelly
Helper I
Helper I

Data Gateway Refresh Fail- No Fail Reason Given

Hello,

I am trying to refresh a worksheet in the power BI service . The worksheet is connected to a sql databse and one excel document. The worksheet refreshes fine on Power Bi desktop and takes around 40mins to do so. I have a data gateway running on the power bi service which is showing as online and the data source credentials are good.

The last attempt at refresh showed no fail reason , but i have gone through numerous reasons over the past week only for one failure reason to lead to another.

The local PC that stores the pbix file is 64bit with an intel i3 3.3ghz 2 core, 4 logical processors. with 4gb of physical ram and 10gb of virtual ram.

Below are the latest details of my refresh failure, the refresh was started at 8.00pm uk time.

Last refresh failed: Thu Jan 05 2017 22:01:46 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:52b3bc62-4cd4-4646-9359-
Request ID:80303634-2fb1-45cb-bff0-
Time:2017-01-05 22:01:46Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi ,

I have managed to resolve the issue.... It was a sceduling clash with our internal server....

Many Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @thomaskelly,

Do you store the Excel file in local disk or in online service such as OneDrive for Business?

In addition, do you have external data sources in the Excel file? And have you tried to delete your dataset and reconnected to it via “Get Data->Files” entry in Power BI Service?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi ,

The excel file is on the desktop along with the pbix file. I managed to setup a gateway on Friday that refreshed twice and once as a sceduled refresh then I got a new message stating that all of the schduled refreshes had failed over the weekend,

This was a microsoft SQl: timeout expired error.  and a microsoft data mashup error. So one step forward and three back at the moment.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Hi @thomaskelly,

I know that you connect to Excel file in Power BI Desktop. We need to know where is the Excel file stored, local disk or onedrive? And how do you upload PBIX file to Service? Is there a large amount of data in the Power BI Desktop?

Could you post a screenshot about the error message in your refresh history?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi ,

I have managed to resolve the issue.... It was a sceduling clash with our internal server....

Many Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors