Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cca
Regular Visitor

Connect Power Bi to Sharepoint on premise using Get Data

We are have an on Premise 2013 Sharepoint. we want to connect Power Bi destop to the Sharepoint sites in order to access excel files. We have tried using the root directory url, the folder directory url and we have not been able to connect. The error we get using windows credential is "Access to the resource is fobidden". The user creating the connection has full rights at the Sharepoint web application level and can browse the Sharepoint site and folders on a browser. 

Please we need help in order to resolve the issue. Is there anything that need to be configured in Sharepoint to allow Power Bi to connect successfully.  Is there permissions that need to be granted the user credentials used in making the connections. Thanks you in advance for for your advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cca,

Does the Power BI desktop run on the same server which hosts the SharePoint? If not, are those two servers in the same server and can communicate each other?

In your scenario, please follow v-yuezhe-msft's suggestion to get data from the Excel in on-premise SharePoint: SharePoint On Premise Connection to Excel File. As it's on-premise SharePoint, please select Windows authentication, if current Windows credential doesn't have permission to access this Excel, please enter alternate credential when get data.

Make sure you run the latest desktop version 2.45.4704.722.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nolan
Regular Visitor

I had the same issue but using windows authentication or entering credentials did not work for me. I connected to SharePoint using File Explorer and was promted for authentication. After it was entered and I could use File Explorer to browse content on the server I went back to Power BI and connected without issue.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cca,

Does the Power BI desktop run on the same server which hosts the SharePoint? If not, are those two servers in the same server and can communicate each other?

In your scenario, please follow v-yuezhe-msft's suggestion to get data from the Excel in on-premise SharePoint: SharePoint On Premise Connection to Excel File. As it's on-premise SharePoint, please select Windows authentication, if current Windows credential doesn't have permission to access this Excel, please enter alternate credential when get data.

Make sure you run the latest desktop version 2.45.4704.722.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft The Power BI run on a different server from the Sharepoint server. But they are in the same domain and can communicate to each other. I have tried option 2 and I still get permission error. 

Hi @cca,

As you mentioned you have tried the option 2, what's the result when you type the SharePoint site root URL in browser on the server Power BI desktop runs?

How about the result when you try the option 1?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

When i tried the 2 option i get the error "Access to the resource is fobidden".

When I tried the 1 option, it was successful, I was able to conenct to the excel file.

I dont understand why I get the permission error with the 2 option

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors