Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

Can't refresh a Data Set from Excel file

Hello,

I have uploaded an .xls file (with Power Pivot data models and Power Query connections to csv and xls files) to OneDrive and from there to Power BI, but I am not able to refresh the data set. When I click on "schedule refresh" I get the error message below - could you please explain what I am doing wrong?

You cannot schedule refresh for this dataset because it does not contain data model connections. You cannot schedule refresh on worksheet connections or linked tables. To schedule refresh the data must be loaded into the data model.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

In your Excel file, are the Power Queries writing to the data model, just back to an Excel table or both?

From your error message, It looks like you are using PQ to only write back to Excel.  If you click on the "Load To" option on your Power Query, can you also "Add it to Data Model"? 

Then re-save the file, and see if you can refresh it from PowerBI.com

View solution in original post

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You will be able to refresh it but those who don't have Pro account will lose ability to see it the minute you set up scheduled refresh

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
VidasM
Advocate II
Advocate II

You do not need to install Personal Gateway if your Excel workbook is on OneDrive. I just tested that - it works. You cannot schedule to refresh data - data will be refreshed for you once per hour. More info here: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471009-refresh-excel-csv-and-power-bi-desktop-fil...

I have an Excel file in Onedrive and connect the dataset to that file.

But when I overwrite the file; PowerBI sends the error that the file doesn't exist anymore when I refresh manually the dataset.

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

And one more question: is it possible to login through the same account on different devices at the same time? That way (by using a shared account) multiple non-pro users could see the refreshed reports, right?
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I have been able to login with the same account on multiple browsers and computers at the same time, however, I don't know if there is a limit when Microsoft will consider this a terms of service violation

roumen92
Helper I
Helper I

Did you have tried with Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 installed?

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I do - doesn't help. 😞 I am using a free Power BI account, by the way.

Bad, can't update local files with free account.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I've just signed up for a Pro account (60 days free trial) - didn't help either.

In your Excel file, are the Power Queries writing to the data model, just back to an Excel table or both?

From your error message, It looks like you are using PQ to only write back to Excel.  If you click on the "Load To" option on your Power Query, can you also "Add it to Data Model"? 

Then re-save the file, and see if you can refresh it from PowerBI.com

Hi,

I'm also facing the same error. But i'm not familiar with power query. I have a set of data in excel 2013 file and kept it as a table. Then I have added to data model. So, power pivot has been created there. Then I have copied the file to ondrive-personal folder. I have connected to this file from powerbi.com. But when I tried to set refresh it shows the same error. How to resolve this issue?

Braney,

Thank you, you were right! It works now.

One more thing to confirm: do I have to be a Power BI Pro user to use this auto-update feature through Gateway? 

Gnoom,

As a free user you can set a scheduled update 1x per day

If you want to refresh more than that, you need to be a Pro User.

Here is a list of capabilities for each based on free/Paid

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Even the manual refresh is limited to one per day??? What is the difference between refresh and refresh preview??

I checked the features list, but still don't understand one thing: will I be able to refresh the data (daily) from an excel workbook located on my local PC through the Power BI Personal Gateway without a Pro account?

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

you will be able to refresh but those who you share your content with will have to have a Pro account to see it

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

I see, so there is no way to refresh a shared report so that others will see the updated version without a Pro account, right?

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You will be able to refresh it but those who don't have Pro account will lose ability to see it the minute you set up scheduled refresh

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

One more question: what if I refresh from OneDrive? (never tried that) Does that work on non-pro accounts?

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

I see, thank you!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Do you have a Power BI Personal Gateway installed? I have loaded up Excel files and refreshed from data pulled in from Power Query from CSV files and Excel file data sources.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors