Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chema_Ortega
Helper III
Helper III

COMBINING FILES IN POWER QUERY - I WANT TO KEEP THE NAMES OF THE FILES IN EACH ROW OF THE FINAL QUER

Hello everybody. I hope all of you are well.

I am combining several files from a sharepoint folder, but I need to keep the name of the files, because that name contains the worker, and I have to keep it in all rows of the final file. I remember there was a way to do it, but I cannot remember HOW to do it... Does anyone remember it?

Thanks a lot. Best regards!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

you can use this pattern

let
Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\serpi\OneDrive - Studio Piva\Documenti\V\Power Bi\Community\SampleFolder1"),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Excel.Workbook([Content])),
#"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Name", "Data"}, {"Name.1", "Data"}),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Name.1", "Data", "Name"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Name.1", "SheetName"}, {"Name", "FileName"}}),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Name1", each let name=[FileName] in Table.AddColumn([Data],"FileName",each name)),
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom", each let name=[SheetName] in Table.AddColumn([Name1],"SheetName",each name)),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"SheetName", "FileName", "Custom"}),
#"Expanded Custom1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Custom", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Filename", "Sheetname", "Column4"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Filename", "Sheetname", "Column4"})
in
#"Expanded Custom1"

If this post is useful to help you to solve your issue, consider giving the post a thumbs up and accepting it as a solution!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Chema_Ortega
Helper III
Helper III

GRRREEEEAAAATTTTT!!!! Thanks a lot, Servipa!!! That was SOOO USEFUL!!! 

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

you can use this pattern

let
Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\serpi\OneDrive - Studio Piva\Documenti\V\Power Bi\Community\SampleFolder1"),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Excel.Workbook([Content])),
#"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Name", "Data"}, {"Name.1", "Data"}),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Name.1", "Data", "Name"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Name.1", "SheetName"}, {"Name", "FileName"}}),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Name1", each let name=[FileName] in Table.AddColumn([Data],"FileName",each name)),
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom", each let name=[SheetName] in Table.AddColumn([Name1],"SheetName",each name)),
#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"SheetName", "FileName", "Custom"}),
#"Expanded Custom1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Custom", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Filename", "Sheetname", "Column4"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Filename", "Sheetname", "Column4"})
in
#"Expanded Custom1"

If this post is useful to help you to solve your issue, consider giving the post a thumbs up and accepting it as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors