Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

nebhatt
Regular Visitor

After combining my files how do I update the data when a change happens to a unique identifier?

Hello All!

I have 19 txt files that are in the same folder labelled Data. Each of these files need to be its own table in Power BI. Everyday a new set of 19 txt files are dropped in the Data folder with the new date attached to the filename. For example: Account_20230920. 

I have combined the 19 txt files from June till now. 

My issue is that any change that has happened to a unique identifer is showing multiple times. 

For Example: 

File: Account_2023_09_18 has an Account ID: 5678 that was LastModifiedOn: 20230917 by User: A1M. Now when I refreshed the data on 9/19/2023 I see Account ID: 5678 twice... because it was LastModifiedOn: 20230918 by User: MB2. I should ONLY see the latest updates made to the Account ID: 5678 not both records. 

How to get rid of this? 

File: Account_2023_09_18  Account ID: 5678  LastModifiedOn: 20230917 User: A1M.

File: Account_2023_09_18  Account ID: 5678  LastModifiedOn: 20230918 by User: MB2 I should only see this record in the Account table

It is causing my fact table Account to have a Many to Many relationship with other tables. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @nebhatt 

You filter on the max date, this will only show the record with the latest date.

Please refer to my post https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/Sorting-by-most-recent-date/m-p/3397167/highli...

Thanks

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @nebhatt 

You filter on the max date, this will only show the record with the latest date.

Please refer to my post https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/Sorting-by-most-recent-date/m-p/3397167/highli...

Thanks

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors