Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GGRUoN

Updating Power BI with view from Dynamics 365

Hello all,

I am using the "visualise this view" feature in Dynamics 365 to create reports in Power BI.

I can get the initial transfer of data from Dynamics into Power BI but the link between the data and Power BI only seems to work first time. What I mean is that when I update the view in Dynamics this does not feed through into Power BI.

I have tried looking at the data model, but I can't seem to find any update/refresh function within Power BI. Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MattB-Motive
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @GGRUoN 

You are correct, when you click 'Visualise this view', Power BI creates a DirectQuery connection to the Dataverse environment and creates an SQL query that replicates the view. This SQL query won't get updated if you change the view afterwards.

Once you save the report to the Power BI Service, you will have the option to download the PBIX file (File > Download this file). You can then open Power Query and view the SQL that was automatically created. You could then alter the SQL to 'create' a new 'view'.

You can't update/refresh the report in the Service as it's a DirectQuery connection (a live connection) to Dataverse.

Thanks

Matt

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
a_vasiliev

The issue you're encountering with the "visualise this view" feature in Dynamics 365 and its integration into Power BI highlights a common challenge within dynamics 365 services. While Dynamics 365 offers robust capabilities for data management and analysis, ensuring seamless integration and real-time updates in Power BI can sometimes require additional steps. It sounds like you might need to set up scheduled refreshes within Power BI to ensure that the data from Dynamics 365 is updated regularly. This feature is crucial for maintaining the flow of updated data between Dynamics 365 and Power BI. Exploring the data model and refresh settings in Power BI, as well as consulting Dynamics 365 documentation or support services, could provide further insights into resolving this issue. Your experience underscores the importance of comprehensive integration features and support within Dynamics 365 services to facilitate efficient data analysis and reporting.

Thanks for the reply. It does strike me as a little strange that these Microsoft systems don't auotmatically update data between them or at least make it easy to do so.

Thanks again.

GGRUoN

Thanks @MattB-Motive 

MattB-Motive
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @GGRUoN 

You are correct, when you click 'Visualise this view', Power BI creates a DirectQuery connection to the Dataverse environment and creates an SQL query that replicates the view. This SQL query won't get updated if you change the view afterwards.

Once you save the report to the Power BI Service, you will have the option to download the PBIX file (File > Download this file). You can then open Power Query and view the SQL that was automatically created. You could then alter the SQL to 'create' a new 'view'.

You can't update/refresh the report in the Service as it's a DirectQuery connection (a live connection) to Dataverse.

Thanks

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.