Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Values of a Different Case are Automatically Changed When Loaded to the Model in PBI Desktop

This is a bug identified in the Power Query community forum post: PBI upcases US in text field -- very bad

@Syndicate_Admin

Original Forum Post:

I thought I was going blind or crazy.  In my data are addresses having variants of "US", "Us", "us".  I can see the values correctly in PQ preview.  When I apply and look at my table in PBI Desktop all instances are upper case "US".  I discovered this connecting to our SharePoint production source and then anonymized the file and imported as .csv -- same output.

My response to the post:

I have validated this behavior and agree that it should not be happening.  I have increased the number of tests to narrow down the issue and Power BI seems to be automatically changing subsequent values that appear in a contiguous list to match the format of the first value.  The column headers and the record's values in other columns do not seem to influence the result. I have outlined the values below that have been changed.

jennratten_0-1704201505807.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WsoQDJR0l5/yUVEMgbWhkaKQQGqzgkZmeUZ5YqWCGQzBWB4sBRjC1pcWoBhgZGBggC1oYYDcAYVkxNhcUk+ACvWA9JK0wLgFbUTWFImmygAE8eiyAngzVK9ZTMAZ6LxYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ssn = _t, ale_code = _t, address_1 = _t, Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ssn", Int64.Type}, {"ale_code", type text}, {"address_1", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Hi  @jennratten 

While the Power Query engine is case sensitive, the main Power BI engine (that means datasets, relationships, DAX etc) is case insensitive. 

Letter case-sensitivity in DAX, Power BI and Analysis Services - SQLBI

You can use the Unicode Zero-Width Space character and the M Character.FromNumber function instead , if you want to display case in Desktop.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Power BI And Case Sensitivity (crossjoin.co.uk)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi  @jennratten 

While the Power Query engine is case sensitive, the main Power BI engine (that means datasets, relationships, DAX etc) is case insensitive. 

Letter case-sensitivity in DAX, Power BI and Analysis Services - SQLBI

You can use the Unicode Zero-Width Space character and the M Character.FromNumber function instead , if you want to display case in Desktop.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Power BI And Case Sensitivity (crossjoin.co.uk)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao