Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

GA4 Connector Bug

I'm hitting the following error when using the GA4 connector:

Expression.Error: The field 'description' of the record wasn't found.
Details:
    apiName=customChannelGroup:XXXXXX
    uiName=YYYY
    category=Attribution

Seems to have happened after the introduction of a custom channel grouping in GA. 

Hi  all,

There has been internal feedback from engineers about this issue and it will be fixed in a future release, no definite ETA at this time.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @thebadger7 ,

This error message suggests that the GA4 connector in Power BI is unable to find the 'description' field in the record that it is trying to access. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your query: Review the query that you are using to retrieve data from GA4 and make sure that the 'description' field is included in the query. If it is not included, add it to the query and try again.

2. Check your data source: Verify that the data source you are connecting to in GA4 actually contains the 'description' field. If it does not, you will need to modify your query to use a different field or add the 'description' field to your data source.

3. Check for any updates: Check to see if there are any updates available for the GA4 connector in Power BI. If there are, install the updates and try again.

Best regards.

thebadger7
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response. I don't think it's an issue with the query - the error is shown when I use the native Power BI connector to GA. It has occured since we added a custom channel grouping in GA.

thebadger7_0-1689243111141.png

chris00paul

@thebadger7 did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue. I also have a custom channel grouping but added a Description in there and it didn't seem to solve it. 

flyaway123
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue as well when I want to pull in GA4 360 data in a new query.

It shows that the field 'description' of the record wasn't found.

flyaway123_0-1690876311430.png

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi  all,

There has been internal feedback from engineers about this issue and it will be fixed in a future release, no definite ETA at this time.

Best regards.

thebadger7
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the update. Can you give approximate timescales (e.g. days, weeks or months)?

Sergio_Zapata
Regular Visitor

Hi I have the same error when I use the native Power BI connector to GA4 (version 2.0 beta) and the desktop program in Versión: 2.120.731.0 64-bit

field 'description'.png

DanThorne
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing the same issue in both Power BI desktop (even using the latest August 2023 release) and the Power BI service (dataflows).

The problem is persistent with the GA4 property using Implementation 2.0. I don't have this problem with any of the UA properties/views, they work just fine with Implementation 1.0 and Power BI Desktop and Service

Note: This problem also seems to be isolated to a bug with the Power BI connector. It does not persist when using Google Looker/Data Studio to connect to the GA4 property. 

Expression.Error: The field 'description' of the record wasn't found.

Details
apiName = customChannelGroup:XXXXXXXXXX
uiName = Custom Channel Group (7.1.23)

Failed connection using the GA4 connector in Power BI Service:
DanThorne_2-1692763757986.png

Successful connection with the GA4 connector in Google Looker/Data Studio:
DanThorne_0-1692763060456.png

DanThorne_1-1692763261559.png

category = Attribution
thebadger7
Frequent Visitor

Still not working - going to have to use Looker instead of Power BI for GA reporting I think.

WSELT
Regular Visitor

Same issue here with only one of the GA4 properties. The other, with the exact same query (only different property ID), are running fine.