Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bug - Seeing "(Blank)" twice in slicer and filter - desktop and service

I am seeing (Blank) twice for one of my fields, whether I use it as a slicer or filter.  It picks 58 rows from my table visualization, but if I filter by null in the Query, I see only 54 rows.  Perhaps most interesting, in Desktop, if I click the second blank, it puts a check in the first blank value.  If I click it a second time, only the first value looks checked, but the top says "Workflow Status is (Blank) or (Blank)" (as shown below).  If I click it a third time, the second (Blank) gets a check mark.

Desktop Version: 2.103.661.0 64-bit (March 2022)

tlaresch2_0-1649182224745.pngtlaresch2_1-1649182236384.png

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test. Whether there is multiple blank values in the column or just there is something differnt with the 'blank' value.

Perhaps you can try to update to the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.103.881.0) to check this issue again.

If it still happens, you can consider sharing a dummy sample file which could reproduce this issue better.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test. Whether there is multiple blank values in the column or just there is something differnt with the 'blank' value.

Perhaps you can try to update to the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.103.881.0) to check this issue again.

If it still happens, you can consider sharing a dummy sample file which could reproduce this issue better.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

tlaresch2
Frequent Visitor

Yingjie,

I downloaded the latest Desktop and loaded the PBIX into it.  The issue is still there, even after refresh Preview All in Query Editor and refreshing the report.  The four queries (tables) that are involved with this issue are a project dim, project fact, dim1, dim2.  Project dim and project fact are less than 500 rows with a 1:1 relationship.  Project dim has a m:1 relationship with dim1 (like a snowflake dim), and Project fact has m:1 with dim 2.

The main issue seems to be revealed in the table visualization, with "show items with no data," when I any Project dim fields to it.  It shows a blank row, which seems to be a bug or corruption.

When I duplicate all four queries and set up the same relationships, the duplicate tables do NOT have this issue.

I don't know that I will be able to reproduce this with a modified version, but I will see what I can do.

Thanks,

Tom

tlaresch2
Frequent Visitor

I have found that the issue is related to a single relationship in the data model - when I remove it, the issue resolves.  When I add this relationship back, or if I add it to my "duplicated" version of the tables, the issue occurs.  The Project dim table has a 1:m relationship with several other fact tables, and this one relationship is causing the issue, even though there seems to be no other path that should be causing this issue.

tlaresch2
Frequent Visitor

I believe the issue is because this one fact table has projectKeys that are not available in the dimension, and that is causing the Project dimension to somehow add a blank row to itself.  I did not think a fact table would affect a dimension table - I am working on a fix (adding the missing keys) and will post back on the results.