Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BUG:"property": "IsHidden" appearing as a difference when comparing datasets in deployment pipelines

Why is there a new property showing up when comparing datasets across stages in deployment pipelines? I've noticed this difference shows up for all objects in the dataset and it shows only when you publish report from PBI desktop to service. If the dataset is deployed with this property from one stage to next using deployment pipelines, it results in data loss. This seems to be a bug introduced in March 2023 update.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry I'm not quite clear what property do you mean. I checked in my side, it's the same as before.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1682060830189.png

Could you please explain more how I can reproduce your problem.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry I'm not quite clear what property do you mean. I checked in my side, it's the same as before.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1682060830189.png

Could you please explain more how I can reproduce your problem.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you hover to the dataset where deployment pipeline shows a difference, you should see an option 'Change Review'. Once you click on this, you might see this property showing up as a difference between datasets in source and target stages. 

ab14_0-1682087377371.png

ab14_1-1682087432396.png

LeeBenjamin
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

This is a new feature added this month to Deployment pipelines,called: "Change review
For paired items across stages having sync status of 'Different', it is now possible to drill down and see a comparison of their schema so you can identify the differences in a code line level.

Change review only provision the backend and provides more details but doesn't make any changes, so the data loss couldn't have happend because of it.
In this case you presented, it looks like there was an object that was set to be hidden in the source stage. After the deployment, this object should be hidden on both stages. I would check with support if it doesn't seems to be the case.

Learn more about Change review here.

BR,

Lee

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I understand the Change Review feature and what it's supposed to do. What I'm not sure about is the property: isHidden which started to show up in the last few weeks as a difference between source and target. Note that we haven't changed the visibility of any object in the dataset and yet this property is showing as a difference for all the objects (tables, columns and measures). Before the Change Review feature, we've been using ALM toolkit to compare different stages and even in ALM toolkit, this difference shows up. To add to this, we deployed this change to all three stages (dev, test & prod), but after I published a newer version of the dataset to dev from PBI desktop, this property started showing as a difference between dev and test. It's really strange where this is getting introduced.

LeeBenjamin
Employee

@Anonymous 

I couldn't replicate the issue on my side, but the fact those changes were introduced also in ALM toolkit supports my understanding that this issue is not related to deployment pipelines. I suggest to open a support ticket for them to investigate it further (probably around datasets).
Best regards,

Lee

rajulshah
Super User

@LeeBenjamin @v-yanjiang-msft 

Even I am facing the same issue, is there any way that we can disable this?

LeeBenjamin
Employee

Hi @rajulshah,
We do not apply any manipulation/logic to adjust the findings of differences between two items, so that won't be possible. However, I'd suggest checking with support of what could be the reason for this change and fix it for it to disappear.

BR,

Lee