Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BUG: "Formatting options are unavailable for this visual"

In Power BI Desktop I am running into an issue where I cannot format visualizations that are part of a group. When selecting the visualization in the group and navigating to the Format visual tab, no options are available and it says "Formatting options are unavailable for this visual". The only workaround is to ungroup the visualization, make formating changes, then re-group it with the other visualizations. This has been happening for the past week or two. Sometimes it will let me format visualizations in a group, but most of the time it shows the message below. 

Screenshot 2023-04-20 142404.png

Hi @jaykayelsemicol ,

I tried again and still can't reproduce the problem, also haven't found ICM reported internally. If the problem persists, I suggest you create a support ticket, it's free for pro user and a dedicated engineer will come to dig the problem for you.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
SDittmannFleet
Advocate IV

Again, they are claiming they are fixing this in the December update. We'll see if that is the case.

PBIDevFW
Frequent Visitor

It's not fixed yet and now I can't access formatting options even when removing a group association. Ridiculous how long it's taking to fix this major annoyance.

BrandyBurk
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing this issue as well.  I can't consistantly recreate it though either.  It only seems to happen on group items and most times (but not all) they are part of a bookmark.  I have found that if I switch to another page (or bookmark) and come back, the formatting options are back.  I'm glad I don't have to ungroup and regroup to deal with this because that would drive me insane....or more anyway.  

Desktop Version: 2.121.903.0 64-bit (September, 2023)

dmac1313

I've envountered this several times as well but it's always inconsistent sometimes only a subset of grouped visuals will lose the formatting option. It will also vary from visual to visual. PBI is buggy! Beta status!

SDittmannFleet
Advocate IV

I reopened my original ticket w/ them two weeks ago. What I'm getting now, and I'm on the latest update, is that here and there a visual will simply not show ANY formatting options, but I don't get the "unavailable" prompt. I find this pretty ridiculous at this point, given how long it has been reported/going on.

dzfx
Advocate II

Still same bug. It's been broken for months. FIX IT!

brownj3714

This issue hasn't been resolved yet? I encountered this issue for the first time today after working with grouping visuals. Any idea of when a fix will be released? thanks all!