Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Admin monitoring refresh failure

Hello,

The datasets in the new Admin monitoring workspace wont refresh anymore. Also it is not possible as an Power BI admin to get an Admin role for this workspace. So i can't check te dataset settings.

refresh1.png

Error details:

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","pbi.error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"The credentials provided for the AdminInsights source are invalid. (Source at AdminInsights.)"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 706ff8a3-0141-46d3-870f-5ac5c38258b7
Request ID: aaee75b8-262c-4e9e-87a6-158967a5a2d5
Time: 2023-05-28 09:42:21Z

Hi @Tiemen ,

I found that there are users in other threads with a similar problem to your feedback, but it is not reproducible in my case, I will continue to investigate the issue and will feedback here once I have any progress.

Datasets in Admin Monitoring workspace fail - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bogdanblaga is there already any progress on this part? Seems like this feature is completely useless when combined with privileged identiy management...

TSami
Regular Visitor

We setup a service account with permanent Admin rights (no need to elevate) and ensured the monitoring workspace was setup with that account. Doing so, this has been running smooth.

I still want to emphasize that this shouldn't be how the setup needs to be done. It's awful, simple as that.

Tiemen
Advocate II

@TSami , this is creative but not allowed in our organization. @bogdanblaga @MicrosoftLC Any updates, its been very quiet regarding this feature lately....

XCT
Frequent Visitor

Still the problem here...Any solution @bogdanblaga @MicrosoftLC ?

rceslinski
Frequent Visitor

Hello folks
Did anyone find a solution for the refresh error?
I am having a hard time monitoring usage, we are hitting 100% and I can't get a reliable dashboard to show me what is going on or where the usage is coming from.
Admin monitoring, Capacity metrics, Fabric metrics all of them fail to refresh...

Thanks!

bogdanblaga
Employee

Thanks for the feedback, while this is a high priority item for Admin monitoring to handle, it will require complex engineering efforts. We will share updates when available. 

Right now, the best approach would be to periodically have PIM enabled during the scheduled times for the  dataset refreshes.  

We also rolled out a short-term fix for the case when 3 consecutive dataset refreshes occur. If this happens and the scheduled refresh gets disabled, then there should be an automated process to kick-start scheduled refresh once a tenant admin role once again logs in. This fix is to mitigate the need to do a full workspace re-initialization when refresh gets disabled.

Tiemen
Advocate II

@bogdanblaga Thank you for the update!

Good to hear this is still a high priority. I like the short-term fix, with this we can at least manually update the report!

Tiemen
Advocate II

@bogdanblaga one question: when can we expect the short-term fix? In our tenant the fix isn't implemented yet.

bogdanblaga
Employee

@Tiemen can you please reach out with specific tenant details to this mailbox? We will look to assist this further.

Troubleshooting Admin Monitoring <94808ce8.microsoft.com@amer.teams.ms>