Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

fabric_user
Frequent Visitor

Fabric F64 capacity vs. Power BI Premium P1 capacity

Hi,

If my organization wants to use Fabric workloads and Power BI Premium workloads, does it make a difference if we buy F64 capacity or P1 capacity?

E.g.

• Is the Power BI functionality richer with P1 capacity vs. F64 capacity?
  • Is the Fabric performance greater with F64 capacity vs. P1 capacity?
  • Are there differences with regards to storage costs?

What are the main differences (if any) if we buy F64 capacity or P1 capacity?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @fabric_user ,

We have an update from internal team -

They are roughly the same, and allow you the same usage of workloads and features on both F and P SKU. The inherent difference between the two is that AutoScale ( docs ) only exists for P SKUs today, with an evolution of that functionality for both P and F SKUs on the backlog. 

Docs:

Microsoft Fabric concepts - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Buy a Microsoft Fabric subscription - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queries.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @fabric_user ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Hi @fabric_user ,

We have an update from internal team -

They are roughly the same, and allow you the same usage of workloads and features on both F and P SKU. The inherent difference between the two is that AutoScale ( docs ) only exists for P SKUs today, with an evolution of that functionality for both P and F SKUs on the backlog. 

Docs:

Buy a Microsoft Fabric subscription - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queries.

Thank you @v-gchenna-msft 

I have another question:

Are all Power BI Premium Capacity workloads and features (except AutoScale, and viewing Power BI content for Free users) also available on the F SKUs which are smaller than F64 (i.e. F2-F32)?

I am considering if purchasing one of the smaller size F SKUs can be a cost-efficient way of getting access to Power BI Premium Capacity workloads and features.

Thank you!

Hi @fabric_user ,

We don't have a hard recommendation on P vs. F SKUs today, it's mostly based on what makes sense for your organisation for current agreements, different buyer responsibilities, ... 

Current point in time. With the exception of Copilot for Microsoft Fabric (F64/P1 or above), the smaller F capacities can use the same workloads and features. 

Thank you @v-gchenna-msft,

You mention current point in time... does it mean that Power BI Premium workloads and features may be removed from the smaller F SKUs in the future?

Or is the intention that Power BI Premium workloads and features will be a part of all F SKUs also going forward?

I can't seem to find documentation which states that Power BI Premium workloads and features are included in F SKUs.

But I am happy that we can use Power BI Premium workloads and features on all F SKUs 🙂

Thank you!

Hi @v-gchenna-msft 

I found this table in the Docs which you provided:

fabric_user_3-1708582164366.png

I see that "Create Power BI Premium workspaces" is included for Pro and PPU. Does this mean that Power BI Premium is included in all Fabric F SKUs (including the smaller SKUs)?
If yes, then that answers my question in my previous reply 😀

(I am not talking about Copilot, Power BI content sharing with free users, and auto-scaling, as I understand that there are some special considerations regarding this)

Btw, it seems strange that "Share non-Power BI Fabric items" is not enabled for PPU users in the table. Is that a typo in the table?

Thank you!

Hi @fabric_user ,

Let me check with the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Appreciate your patience.

Hi @fabric_user ,

Glad to know that your query got answered. Please continue using Fabric Community for your further queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.